Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Third failed water pump WTF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
I purchased some years ago a conical plastic filter that fits into the top inlet of the radiator. I put this in when I fitted my 45,000km engine into my wagon along with a new radiator. The engine had a lot of black gunk coming out of it when I flushed it prior to fitment, thus I wanted to save the radiator from being prematurely clogged.

This cheap filter certainly did it's job, in actual fact it did it too well as I started suffering from higher running temperatures about 6 months after fitment. This told me that the filter was due for being looked at and when I did it was clogged. Quick easy job when it's located in the top radiator hose area.

***Just an update about that particular engine.

It came out of a 1995 crashed VS sedan which makes it a 24 year old donk and it's still running the original Japanese made GMB water pump. Says a lot for a companies reputation and also how quickly that it now has been trashed by substandard product production all in the name of profits and shareholders.

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
http://www.derek.com.au/tefbafilter.html
Wow. That's an interesting looking product. Thanks Immortality. Never heard of anything like it before. I've been worried about the running temperature of my rattley old donk on hotter days over the last summer or 2 (without doing anything about it).
Anyone got any experience with this product?

Yep, I got one on my 304 that was not well looked after by previous owner. New water pump and put one of those in the top radiator hose. Trapped lots of crap.

I would recommend reverse flushing your radiator using a garden hose, it's not perfect but does work.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
The factory pumps will lose all there fins before leaking lol

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
So where can you go to get a quality pump these days?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
http://www.derek.com.au/tefbafilter.html
Wow. That's an interesting looking product. Thanks Immortality. Never heard of anything like it before. I've been worried about the running temperature of my rattley old donk on hotter days over the last summer or 2 (without doing anything about it).
Anyone got any experience with this product?

Highly recommend them.....Plenty of people I know won't run their cars without them.....Catches all the crap from the block and saves clogging up the radiator

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
So where can you go to get a quality pump these days?

Gates are supposed to be the go now. But six months since install, the Gates has **** itself. Filter will probably get fitted but in reality I have had stacks of cars and this is the only one where I have replaced a water pump due to failure. Only ever replaced one other one on the old Jeep and that was because the RAA misdiagnosed it and I had already spent three hours tearing it down. That had GMB on it that I removed and it was perfect when it came off. Unfortunately it's a big job on a Jeep to replace the pump so I wasn't spending another three hours putting it back together using the old one and I didn't have a spare gasket.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Out of curiosity, what coolant or additives do you use in the cooling system?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Just Nulon long life. Used the same gear for 20 years.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Are you supposed to use those tablets that Holden sell? I used to use them in my VS because the first time I didn't use them the original pump blew up
Although a few more pumps blew up on that car even with the pellets in it...

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Couldn't hurt to try, I thought they were primarily to stop leaks but pump lubrication would also be of benefit.

Status
Not open for further replies.