Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Third Manufacturer for V8 Supercars

jetspin_vn

JetSpin Racing Team
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN GTS
SOURCE: www.v8supercars.com

The Australian Vee Eight Supercar Company (AVESCO) is considering allowing a third manufacturer to race in the V8 Supercar Championship Series, Chairman Tony Cochrane said today.

Ford and Holden are currently the only manufacturers competing in the championship with Ford Falcons and Holden Commodores. Both Ford and Holden benefit greatly from being involved in the world’s toughest touring car category.

Mr Cochrane said a third manufacturer could come on board in 2007.

“It is time to consider a third manufacturer joining the championship,” Mr Cochrane said at Bathurst today.

“We see the internationalisation of the championship as an ongoing situation, we see our events becoming bigger, the championship becoming bigger and the sport being a celebration of Australian motorsport.

“NASCAR in the US has embraced additional manufacturers, done a great job of it and we are going to try to learn from that. The championship has arrived at a point in time where we are big enough for that and it is worthy of consideration.”

Mr Cochrane also said that a fourteenth round of the series may be added in the near future and the calendar narrowed in an attempt to race every fortnight.

“The championship has to embrace the fact that we need to try to race every second weekend so that viewers have more certainty and knowing when we are appearing on television,” Mr Cochrane said.

From next year AVESCO Events, under General Manager Shane Howard, will manage and promote the Bathurst 1000. This year AVESCO events will promote and manage round 12 in Tasmania in November and the final round of the series, the BigPond Grand Finale at Eastern Creek in December.

We see a time when AVECO Events is a great driver of our series and our teams,” Mr Cochrane said.

“I can promise that Bathurst in 2005 will have more facilities, new fan facilities and big new sponsor and some big surprises. We will take this event to another level.

“Council expect to have the work completed by March of next year. It just goes to show how strong the championship is becoming and it’s going to be tremendous facility for our fans and our teams.

“I would like to thank the Federal and State Governments who were integral in this happening. The Bathurst Regional Council is very much responsible for what we now see at the mountain.

“This is the eighth year of the event being run by IMG who have done an outstanding job. They are great promoters and very much a part of our championship.

“They have an excellent team and wish them all the very, very best in their future endeavours.”

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Interesting, I wonder who the third manufacturer will end up being. Can't really think of any cars straight up that'd slide in with an 8 in the same class.

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
AH Astra (daily), VX Berlina, VN Calais, Mazda 626
Probably Toyota....:shudders:

niggle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive 3.8
Yeah, it would have to be toyota, but i don't see how a v8 from a land curiser would be much of a contenter... ;)

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 Lexus or Camry, or even a...:shudders:...Avalon?

Gobbles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim Series II
Im thinking Mitsubishi as they expressed interest to join the category some time ago. But then again i have also heard Lexus is pushing to get into the category as well but i dont know. Will be interesting to see i think the series is good as it is with Holden vs Ford and i dont see a need to add the other Manufactuer. Holden and Ford definently wont be happy becasue there is only so many cars that can be in one race and some teams might switch to drive the new manufactuers machine etc.

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
Personally, i reckon they should just leave it as Holden vs Ford. Anyhoo, i thought Mitsi would be better off keeping themselves afloat rather than investing in a race.

fourstar82

Head Chef Honcho
Reaction score
Website
s31.photobucket.com
Members Ride
VYII 25th Anniversary, 2007 VE Calais
See that both Ford and Holden source their engines from the NASCARs in the US, It wouldn't surprise me if Mitsubishi using Dodge sourced engines, came aboard the V8 Supercars circus.

Gobbles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim Series II
goVY said:
V8 Lexus or Camry, or even a...:shudders:...Avalon?
Either way i wouldnt imagine the new comer would be too competitive straight away. Actually now that i have thought about it i wouldnt like/enjoy the series as much as i do now if another manufactuer was added. The age long rivalry of ford and holden provides another level of suspense so to speak and entertainment imagine banging another brand in there sure the holden ford thing would be there but there wouldnt be the ..... eh its hard to say um well it wouldnt the same

Wombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX-II Lumina Sedan
Oh thank God...maybe it won't just be Commodore-Falcon-Commodore-Falcon...bring back the variety for christs sake! :p

Probably Toyota...they have a very sweet V8 in the Lexus, and it can really hauls arse. I don't think they'd get into it if they were just going to be uncompetitive and sit at the back of the pack...Toyota especially has been pushing very hard to get away from the "grandma's car" image and build sportier and sportier cars...look at the Corolla Sportivo...took one for a test drive recently when on holidays...Jesus! 200hp in something that small! It was almost enough to get me to trade in the VS...almost, but not quite... ;)

There are plenty of V8 cars made now...after many years of "the V8 is doomed", engines seem to be getting bigger and more powerful again.

I'm not holding my breath though...I still recall the V8 Supercar representative who was quoted as saying angrily "Ford and Holden have spent years and a lot of money building up the Ford-Holden series, and I'm buggered if some newcomer is going to come in and try and compete and maybe win against them!"

We can but wish...anyway, I'm going fishing on Sunday...if I want to see an endless parade of Commodores and Falcons I'll go sit down the main street any weeknight... :b: