Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Third Manufacturer for V8 Supercars

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
The cars are based on either Commodore or Falcon production bodyshells, but from there almost every component is modified and some (such as differentials and gearboxes) are identical in all cars in the category. Engines are 5.0 litre V8 with pushrod actuated valves and electronic fuel injection. Both Ford and Holden engines are based on racing engines from their respective US parent companies. Engines are restricted to 7500 rpm, and in this configuration most of the cars put out around 450 kilowatts of power. Basic front suspension configuration is similar to the road cars, whilst rear suspension is a "live axle" design, and spring and damper design is unrestricted. A "control tyre" is supplied to all teams. A standard "aerodynamic package" of spoilers and wings is supplied to the teams, and is tested so the two makes have as similar aerodynamic characteristics as possible.

Gobbles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim Series II
Good article in todays Courier Mail saying ford and holden have both complained to supercars cheif Tony Cochrane saying they have invested so much money into the sport to make it what it is today that it would be unfair for another manufactuer to just waltz in and take the limelight as well as destroy the age old rivelry between Ford and Holden. Cochrane replyed with "I dont tell them how to set up their manufactuering plants they shouldnt tell me how to set up my race series"

I have always thougth he is very stuck up and a smart ass myself and i dont like him this just proves my point

fourstar82

Head Chef Honcho
Reaction score
Website
s31.photobucket.com
Members Ride
VYII 25th Anniversary, 2007 VE Calais
jules said:
don't they all use the same engine anyway?

holden was a 5.7l engine in road cars, but the supercar is a 5.0l one.

i know they just use control bits off other makes, eg. apparently they all use mitsubishi suspension parts

Ford and Holden both source their engines from the US, Ford and Chevorlet respectively. They are race engines, not everyday road car engines and are used in NASCAR. It would be easier for Mitsubishi to enter the series sorcing the Dodge engine from NASCAR as well.

Wombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX-II Lumina Sedan
Cochrane is my new hero... :D

I can understand how Australian manufacturers are frightened of being beaten by a car with much less capacity and cylinders...the Skylines would have done it easily...same as the V12 Jaguar's...

8 cylinders isn't the only way to get power to the ground....but then I've always been a big fan of "different" engineering solutions...I love rotaries, two-stroke motorbikes, and even air-cooled BMW Boxer motorbikes...just because they're different... :rolleyes: ...when the warantee runs out on our VS Belrina with the V6 ecotec, I'll be investing a bit of money to see how much I can get out of it... :D

But I really want to see the new Torana in racing...twin turbo v6 rear wheel drive...and for those who simply must have an 8, I would bet that a V8 would fit in that engine bay as well...a new A9X perhaps? ;)

jetspin_vn

JetSpin Racing Team
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN GTS
You forget one major point - that the Supercars are limited heavily by class rules. The fact they can get 620 odd bhp out of a 5 litre pushrod engine limited at just over 7000rpm is fantastic engineering. Any new entrants would have to use the exact same technogies.

Last time I checked, Toyota's V8 was OHC.

Does this mean a change in the rules to allow production based engines to run?? If so, the race is as good as won... by Holden, who will by then be well into the LS2 which in base form kills the others.

Cochrane is a tosser. I don't like him, and I don't like the way he is trying to take the series. It's not called Australian V8 Supercars for nothing, they are Australian V8's!!! Why any true blue auzzie would want rice burners competing in the only series that is truly their own is beyond me.

Mind you what the hell would I know, im a Kiwi.

dellarb

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SII CV8 Monaro
Its been made clear that the car must be Australian made and we wont see nissans unless they start a plant here (aint gonna happen). So we'll get toyota or mitsubishi ie prob heavilly modified camrys or magnas which to me arnt really rice burners. Besides as stated the engines are American anyway and will continue to be american. What i would like to see is less restrictions on the engine (ie road engines etc allowed) it would add a bit of a dynamic side to the competition.

VL Executive

VY SS Ute - Just got 1!
Reaction score
Members Ride
3 VL's, VK EFi, VX S, VY SS Ute, VF SSVR Ute
dellarb said:
So we'll get toyota or mitsubishi ie prob heavilly modified camrys or magnas which to me arnt really rice burners. Besides as stated the engines are American anyway and will continue to be american.

I Cant really see it that way. To me they will be ricey, take the Magna for instance, what you'll have is a Japanese (Australian built) car, with an American Dodge Nascar engine, then it will have to be adapted to rear wheel drive, and also with the hollinger 6 spd box and a ford 9 inch diff to comply with avesco's rules. and also will probably have to use the front wishbone suspention to comply.

Sound like a pretty "riced up" beast to me.

DJ Majah

Electro doof doof styleé
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII cruiser
Cochrane has made a very valid point. It would definitely add some spice to the Ford - Holden rubbish that we see now. Theyre good races, but we need some Toyotas burning around with them. I have heard lots about the Mitsu enthusiasm to be involved with the supercars here, but hopefully if it does happen Toyota will get the place (seeing as Toyota make some veeery nice cars - and, well Mitsu...theyre crap).

Wouldnt it be nice to see
1. Holden
2. Holden
3. Holden
4. Toyota
5. Ford

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine