Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Third Manufacturer for V8 Supercars

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Hell why don't we make it a Holden 10.. That'd be fun wouldn't it.

Basically all they need is a v8 rear wheel drive family car yeah?
I don't think it matters on the specifics of the engine because they would get one from oversea's from a partner.. Like Holden getting theres from Buick etc.

I'd love to see them get a heap of cars in there.. Theres always going to be a Holden Ford Rivalry, except now there may be another contender up there.

And more then likely the new contender will be in the rear of the pack for a while until they get their setup tuned, Holden and Ford have had years perfecting their setups.

Gobbles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim Series II
Well for the record if this does go ahead in 2007, i see the series being ruined. At the end of the day for Ford and Holden it is all about the money. They invest a damn lot of it into the sport through drivers, cars, teams etc and if they arnt getting as much of a return which they wont if another brand comes into the sport then one of them might leave or not put as much in, leaving the sport and the fans disappointed.

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
What do they put in that a new team won't be putting in when it arrives, if it arrives.

For some die hard fans it may be ruined, but I don't see why- it will still be Holden vs Ford, but there will be another so many thousand/ million supporters for the new team aswell. They will still have to invest alot of money into it, and it might shake things up a bit, if they come in and start winning it goes to show Holden and Ford are lacking something that we may not have seen if a new car manufacturer didn't come along.

Look at how many teams are in the races everywhere else, Off the top of my head v8 supercars is the only one I can think of thats just Holden and Ford, time for a change I think.

I love watching Group A,B,C all on the track at once, thats not going to happen with the supercars though, I think it'd be a bit crowded, maybe even dangerous. But god damn its time for a change.

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
ok, this is from a source i have, yay,

it's direct word for word quoting from the video.

we things it's time to consider (and i use the word consider) the option of a thrid manafacture in the championship sport.

we are using a similar system to what the nascar uses, we will learn from them, and we have realized we are popular enough

they are gonna change the rounds to 14 rounds, to coinside with the free to air changes in 2007, they are aiming atleast every 2nd weekend, so we have more certainty about winter time viewing

they are aiming seson 2007 for launch of new maker

under rule number 1 in the rule book, the 4 door car must be australian made, if i was a guessing or gambling man, id put toyota and mitsubishi

when tony was asked if toyota or mitsubishi have already expressed interest, his reply was no comment, when asked why no comment, he said "dont feel like it, im to hung over, not as quick

when they did the research on this idea of the 3rd maker, they said that "the tribal thing between holden and ford isnt quite the proud deal it once was, only comes out at bathurst"

the question was asked, if toyota and mitsubishi were both ready one would miss out, his reply was "the accc (australian consumer guy's) the governing body, rules the final desision, there may well be a 4th manafature, it depends on the accc, it has to be a 4 door sedan, pushrod engine, rear wheel drive and a aussie made car, both toyta and mitsubishi have both already met that requirement.

so there we have it, yay, where can view this footage i hear you all ask, well, only us lucky bigpond cable guy's can view it, yay, http://www.v8supercar.bigpond.com/spec_check/spec_check.aspx is the link, go to the bathurst race highligt video's, and you will see the avesco anouncment, if you guy's can tell me how to rip a video of a flash based viewer, then go for it, il rip it and you can all see it, but be warned, it's 14 minutes in lengh.

cheers
garth

jetspin_vn

JetSpin Racing Team
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN GTS
After some serious drinking on the subject, I've decided I would be for the change... if it would allow Holden and Ford to use their street car engines as a base for supercar engines. ie: a race bred LS2.

Before I jusify this, what do we all thing?

Gobbles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim Series II
I dont think its teh fact that the incoming manufactuer could beat the holden or ford teams already in the competition its the fact that having a Mitsubishi or a Toyota prance around bathurst....or any other track i dont know it would annoy me to no end. I again agree with you jetspin that if they are allowed in, because they dont have a pushrod v8 engine do they ? so then Holden should be allowed to use the LS2 yet if they do that being 6Ltrs they would have to raise the limit to 6ltrs. Whats the falcon equivelant? The boss how many Ltrs is that motor and then how many would the incoming manufactuers be?. Considering this it would most likely have to stay at 5ltr engines only. Hmm this post is a little incoherant due to my friend in a bottle but i think someone will get what im saying...

2_SeeK_U

Wheels on the bus go round and round...
Reaction score
Website
www.users.bigpond.net.au
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore II
Well, how about we rule OUT some manufactors, see if that narrows down the field.

At first l though of Nissan, since they did race the skylines back in thier day, but after some research on the japanease nissan website, l realised l had no idea what l was reading, so l still don't know if they produce a street V8, one doesn't come to mind though.
Website: http://www2.nissan.co.jp/SKYLINE/V35/0404/GRADE/main1.html

Next, Toyota. I couldn't find a production V8 car so we could rule them out.

Mazda....

Lexus, well they have afew cars with V8's in them, such as the SC430 for example, which packs a punch.

Volvo, they have a production high pro 6 cyl cars.... l couldn't find any 8's.

I was thinking though, our Supercars are similar to DTM. Cars currently competing are Audi A4, Opel Vectra, Mercedes C-Class, Opel Astra Coupe and Mercedes CLK. Audi, Opel and Mercedes all run full factory teams with at least 6 cars each. DTM cars are V8 4.0l +400BHP .. standard ZF gearbox . standard brakes etc.

As for FORD's equivilent of the LS2, well theres the mustang GT’s 4.6-liter, three-valve MOD V-8 which produces 300 horses. GT's MOD 5.4-liter supercharged V-8 engine... l can't think of any others.

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
there will be 2 level of v8 super car's, i.e. lvl 1 and lvl2, holden/ford will be lvl1, and other car makes will be lvl2, like a handicap setup

Wombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX-II Lumina Sedan
Just a quick note on the Godzilla Skylines...looking at the V8 Supercars history pages, you can see that back in 1991 the Skyline, handicapped by only having 1.3 bar boost in the turbo, and having to carry 140kg weight penalty, were something like only 4 seconds slower than last years fastest lap time, and they still hold the quickest time for completing the race.

Wonder how well they would have gone without being artificially slowed down with low boost and extra weight? :D

If you ignore advancing technology, it will jump up and bite you on the arse one day...

I look under the hood of my stock standard 3.8 liter Ecotec V6 and realise that it is putting out 205hp and getting fuel economy to shame a four cylinder of even fifteen years ago on the highway...and then I think back to when I was eighteen with my 4.3 liter 6 cylinder Charger. If the motor had been standard in that, it too would have put out 205hp, but the fuel economy and smoothness were nothing near an Ecotec. Advancing technology...

Can't wait to take a VZ for a road test with the 190kw V6 in it! That's more mumbo than SS Commodores and $70,000+ HSV Senators from only a few years back! ;)

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
There will be two levels, level 1 will be Ford and Holden, and Level 2 will be the other manufacturer, hows that work?

Are you saying it will be like class a and class b??

Doesn't make sense, Holden and Ford will fight out the First class and the second manufacturer would be winning the second class? Wouldn't it all be one group.