Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

This is my coolant...head gasket?

carbogun

Reaction score
Picture attached of my coolant....looks like oil is getting in? Car has rough idle and sometimes the temp gauge shoots up and then back down. Head fked maybe?

Attachments

• 2013-07-30 12.33.24-1.jpg
    2013-07-30 12.33.24-1.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 257

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
possibly.
what model commy is it?
Also is it an auto. it's possible that the auto cooler (part of the radiator) has corroded and allowing trans fluid into the radiator.
Also if it is a Ecotec they are prone to the intake manifold gaskets failing at around 150,000kms which can also do this.
Could also be a head gasket but rule the others out first as they are chesper to fix.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais V6
Temp shooting up and down is a sign of an air pocket in the cooling system. Could be caused by a leak, wether from a head gasket, inlet manifold gasket, or just a leaky hose.

carbogun

Reaction score
possibly.
what model commy is it?
Also is it an auto. it's possible that the auto cooler (part of the radiator) has corroded and allowing trans fluid into the radiator.
Also if it is a Ecotec they are prone to the intake manifold gaskets failing at around 150,000kms which can also do this.
Could also be a head gasket but rule the others out first as they are chesper to fix.

It's a VX and yes it's an auto. I'll check the trans fluid level and see if it's mysteriously dropped...manifold gasket is new.

carbogun

Reaction score
Temp shooting up and down is a sign of an air pocket in the cooling system. Could be caused by a leak, wether from a head gasket, inlet manifold gasket, or just a leaky hose.

Thanks for the reply. Manifold gasket is new so I can rule that out. Hoses seem ok and the coolant level also seems ok. The temp has only shot up a couple of times while driving, and then gone back down again after a few seconds on panic :p

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais V6
I would be inclined to flush out the radiator and refill with plain water, and over a week or two keep an eye on your water level. If water hasn't dropped and is still clean, then just add coolant.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais V6
Forgot to mention to make sure you bleed all air out of the system if you go down the path I mentioned.

franklinfrog

Reaction score
Website
www.cheapbrisbanebikes.com
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon 5.7 Auto Wikid Postie Bike
Manifold gasket is new so I can rule that out

Hahahahahaha!! Wouldn't be so confident, who did this work? Rough idle points to inlet manifold, you could have a dodgy install.

Check your other fluids for milky filth.

If your coolant is just brown and rusty colour, then that's normal if it hasn't been changed in a few years. If it's milky then you've got problems.

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
when he says plain water, he means distilled water of course :)
Never put anything less in an alloy block engine or you'll be sorrrrrrry!

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
franklinfrog is right you know.... how new is the manifold gasket? not clean the surfaces properly and it will let oil through. Infact, if it was done recently that would be the first place I'd consider.