Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

this is my vh that i brought for $400 dollars

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
As long as the bore isn't too badly chunked up it might be worth rebuilding what you've got?

The best bit about rebuilding it is that you KNOW that its going to do a atleast another 200,000kms easy.
Maybe check a few parts places, see if they have a rebuild kit for them, new pistons bearings rings etc everything you need - all in one pack.
Or even see an engine rebuilder. Ask him how much for parts and to machine the bores, and then put it together yourself? Or if you can afford it get him to do it.

If you just get some random engine, you don't know if its had a service in the last 100,000kms, if its 'just about' to let go, or any of its history. etc..

Might not be cheaper, but might not be any more expensive either... :)

EDIT: If you want to add some 'character' to the motor, throw in some straight cut timing gears, gives it a nice squeal! and you'll never strip the cam gear again!

vk_pauly

Reaction score
Members Ride
holden Commodore vh
Thankyou matey sorry to hear that u dont have ur vh anymore it sounds like a pretty Mint car... atm im trying to decide what i should do ? just change the pistons or change the whole engine!

vk_pauly

Reaction score
Members Ride
holden Commodore vh
hmm yeah zeussy that sounds like an idea... when i get the car home ill take heaps of photos and ill post them on here alright.. i appreciate you guys tryna help me! and im always pleased to read what use have to say!!

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
No probs mate, mostly only my opinion/s anyway! :thumbsup: I've done a bit of work to the old motor that was in my VH, rebuilt the motor, lumpy cam, Straight cut timing gears, got the head done, its been ported, polished, with big valves in it.. etc. And put it into my sisters HQ, the things a little weapon, goes fairly good for an old 6 :)

Heaps of guys on here have helped me, so I don't mind returning the favour if I can.

Will be watching your progress...

vk_pauly

Reaction score
Members Ride
holden Commodore vh
thankyou matey.. if u have a look of the photo of the top half of the engine in the boot there like little black holes im pretty sure thats where the pistons line up and **** there is 2 there that are silver! on the far right side... i wont if thats the problem :|

HOLD3N

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
valid point.

a cheap rebuild kit for a 202 shouldnt cost much but machine work will set you back a few dollars.

a budget way of doing it would be to use std size pistons, hone the block out and fit new set of rings and bearings. good for another 200,000ks, but hey this is a great learning process on buiding an engine if your a young bloke and very satisfying once you start her up.

good luck

vk_pauly

Reaction score
Members Ride
holden Commodore vh
yeah, well to behonest there is a place in dandenong ( in melbourne ) its a wreckers and this guy said he will charge me $600 for a vh 202 motor... + $400 dollars to put it in i always thorght to behonest that, that was a rip off but then again i may be wronge but for $900 dollars i could of got the engine done and had some other **** done to it as well iunno what use think but let me know!

HOLD3N

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
You could build a brand new bottom end for this amount, but then you would have to organise and do all the work yourself. Also consider the inconvenience of the car being off the road until engine rebuild is done, as could take a few weeks of organising stuff and building. It really depends on your situation.

vk_pauly

Reaction score
Members Ride
holden Commodore vh
yeah HOLD3N your right,... ill keep you posted mate im getting the car on tuesday so once i get the car back home with me ill take some photos and let us all see under the hood and ****!

does that sound better so then use have more too work with !