Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

This noise Argggh -please help!

Mr max

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx commodore
Hi

Can anyone shed some light on what this rattling noise may be - it goes away under acceleration. From the drivers seat it sounds like it’s coming from the drivers side wheel arch but in front of the engine bay it sounds like a pulley..? You can see it smooths out when I rev it...

The car drives fine.

h8tensv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 SV6 2002 VX 1989 VN 5 Litre
Take the belt off and start the engine and see if it goes away. If it does its pulley related.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Could be number of things do as was mentioned above also turn the A/C on it might be the bearing or it could be Alternator or even water pump. Spray some wd 40 on each pulley wheel around the bolt if it goes away if it does then its that bearing.

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
Sounds like bearings, take the belt off and jiggle all the pulleys to see which ones have excessive play and replace them or better yet replace them all.

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
Looks like the tensioner pulley bearing is shot.

Mr max

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx commodore
Cheers for the help guys, much appreciated. I have sprayed some WD40 on the pulley bolts o_O and even though it didn’t stop the noise I am 90% sure it is the tensioner pulley bearings as suggested above. I will take the belt off tomorrow and give them a jiggle :)
Should I replace the pulley or the whole belt tensioner assembly? I’m going to buy the pulley set and belts and change all of them.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Cheers for the help guys, much appreciated. I have sprayed some WD40 on the pulley bolts o_O and even though it didn’t stop the noise I am 90% sure it is the tensioner pulley bearings as suggested above. I will take the belt off tomorrow and give them a jiggle :)
Should I replace the pulley or the whole belt tensioner assembly? I’m going to buy the pulley set and belts and change all of them.
The Tensioner has a mark on it to say its rooted or not, if its fine just replace the pulley bearings. 15mm socket remove the belt and remember the bolt comes out clockwise.

Last edited:

Mr max

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx commodore
The Tensioner has a mark on it to say its rooted or not, if its fine just replace the pulley bearings. 15mm socket remove the belt and remember the bolt comes out clockwise.

Isn't that mark on the tensioner to indicate if the belt needs replacing.. How do you tell if the actual tensioner needs to be replaced?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Isn't that mark on the tensioner to indicate if the belt needs replacing.. How do you tell if the actual tensioner needs to be replaced?

Correct, that is what the mark on the tensioner is for.

Utel67

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs s3 ute
The noise could be a worn out coupler in the supercharger, disconnect the belt and twist left and right to check for free play.