Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

This Ones Got Me Stumped... No Power To Amps

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
Hey all,
my problem is: my amps have no power. This is an intermittent problem, sometimes the amps will get power sometimes they will not.. which i find to be really weird, because they work sometimes all things have to be working.. but only sometimes.
I have pulled everything apart and checked RCA's, Remote, power and earth. So all cables and fuses are good.
Does anyone have any idea what could be causing the amps to have/not have power at any time?

Please help me!
Thanks.

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
Few things:

1. Your amp could be faulty.
2. Your H/U could be faulty.
3. Your amps could be overheating and going into protect
3. Your leads may be paritaly loose

When does it not work? is it totally random?

aZk.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
What are you earthing to? In my experience 9 times out of 10, a bad earthing is the main cause of amp power issues.

Did you run the remote wire seperate from the power cable? THe high voltage could be causing interferance?

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
I agree with above, check or re-do your earths......is each amp earthed to the same spot or different spots?

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for the help here guys. the amplifiers are earthed to 3 different spots.. they are earthed to each bolt that holds the back seat in and also a spot under the parcel shelf. could the factory earth be not strong enough? Everything has been working well for ages, it just stopped all of a sudden when i was driving one day, then after that it has worked on and off.

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
sorry, more info is fairly random however it cannot be overheating as it can do it in the morning when the car has been off for twelve hours, also i ran my remote seperate from power cables, power cables are by them selfs.
Cheers.

Maxxiz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SV6
I had same problem, was earth. Definately sounds like earth to me. Is your earthing cable rated correctly? Also are the earthing surfaces clean?

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Tough one......best to get a multimeter on the amps terminals and make sure its not a connection problem somewhere along the line. Could be the remote turn on too, have you got it split 3 ways for the 3 amps? if so maybe not a good idea, better to use a relay to turn the amps on. Thats a long shot though.

Dont think it would be the factory earth, the car would have trouble starting otherwise.

cewing

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SWAGON
get a ohm meter and get a reading between your earth terminal on the amp, and where you're earthing to

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cheers for the help here. all the earths spots are clean and rubbed back to bare metal, i have used only gold plated connectors so should be all good. i'll hook up a multimetre when i can get one.
I have one trigger wire going to my big amp then a wire going from that amp to the other one

My car is in bits on the driveway haha hope to sort it out tomorrow