Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

this will explain why we take it to the streets

calais_304

Reaction score
Members Ride
98' VT Calais s1 - 195i
please read the artical below and understand why so many young people hoon on the streets instead of simply going to the track, it's not easy in Brisbane....

Brisbane, Queensland – Lakeside Motor Racing Enthusiasts, Inc. made a submission to the Queensland State Government's Office of Urban Management this week requesting that a strategic plan be developed, as part of the south east Queensland Regional Plan, to address the burgeoning problems associated with 'hooning', trail-bikes and jet skis. The group says these problems are a direct result of a lack of dedicated motorsport infrastructure in the south east region. LMRE asks that Lakeside International Raceway be re-opened to ease the burden on communities north of the Brisbane river.

LMRE president Ian Milton said,

"We support the objectives of the Government's anti-hooning laws, but legislation is not enough. We have to give these people, young and old alike, the option to enjoy their sport in a safe environment without being a nuisance to others."

"The South East Regional Plan provides the opportunity for the State Government, Councils and communities to come together and address this issue before it gets out of control."

SEQRP Submission cover letter to Hon Terry Mackenroth:

Dear Minister,

I write to you to consider including a strategic plan for creating and managing motorsport zones in the South East Queensland Regional Plan.

We seek your assistance to address the unnecessary conflict arising in our communities when the noise associated with amateur motorsport, of any kind, is too close to residential property. In particular, we refer to the proliferation of reports in the media of ‘hooning’ by cars and motorcycles, trail-bikes and personal watercraft (jet skis).

Whilst we deplore the vindictive nature of the media label ‘hoon’, Lakeside Motor Racing Enthusiasts, Inc. supports the State Government’s ‘anti-hooning’ legislation. However, we are certain that this legislative strategy will fail if it is not supported by a plan to provide people with the choice to do the right thing.

There is simply no safe alternative for amateur motorsport enthusiasts on the north-side and south-side of Brisbane. Currently, a young person living between the Brisbane River and the Sunshine Coast is expected to drive over 2 hours to Ipswich to enjoy their sport, which just won’t happen no matter how severe the penalties become.

More importantly, we fear more young people will unnecessarily die on our roads and the situation is racing toward a crisis-point as the population increases. The marketplace is demonstrating to us quite clearly that more people want motorsport as part of their lives with sales of high-performance cars, trail-bikes and jet skis at record highs.

We desperately need more facilities for motorsport. In the past 20 years we’ve seen the population triple and yet there is only one full-service motorsport zoned area in Queensland at Ipswich. For people living in the west, the Willowbank precinct has successfully satisfied most popular forms of on-road motorsport, particularly when considering young drivers, with it’s drag strip and road circuit providing both day and night time options. This is important to consider as most ‘hooning’ complaints occur after dark.

The primary reason for a purpose-built motor racing circuit of any kind is to provide safety for the public, as well as the participants, by separating the activity from the public environment. So far, local government bodies have failed their communities miserably with their Not-In-My-Backyard (NIMBY) attitude. Council’s have found it too easy to pass the buck and demonize the individuals, rather than find a real solution.

We are calling upon the State Government to take control of this issue so that local councils can't continue to allow residential developers to encroach upon pre-existing motorsport facilities. I’ve read Pine Rivers Shire Council (PRSC) files from Lakeside neighbours and all of them say something like, “I know the race track was here first, but…”.

At present, private enterprise cannot entertain the idea of developing a motorsport facility simply because the local bureaucratic battle to get the required zoning would send anyone broke, insane or both.

We are not asking for money, we simply want suitable areas to be zoned for motorsport as part of the SEQ Regional Plan. In order to be successful, these areas can’t be 100 kilometres from the CBD and they must be available at night. We implore you to separate motorsport activity from residential areas. This will have the immediate effect of decreasing stress in the community and increasing safety for everyone.

With the Lakeside complex closed by the PRSC, law enforcement has lost a valuable tool as police officers are unable to make a logical suggestion to offenders to, “take it to the track”, because there isn't one. We believe the anti-hooning legislation is the stick, but a carrot hasn't been provided yet. As Police Minister Judy Spence was quoted in a recent Courier Mail article, "Hooning is dangerous and there is no place for this behaviour on our roads". Well, we agree absolutely, but there's no place for it anywhere else either!

We are not asking anything new, we just want to see the same logic that has been successfully applied to other social issues, such as skateboarding, applied to the problem of hooning. If there’s no park, the kids will play in the street.

Lakeside Motor Racing Enthusiasts, Inc. is requesting that a mixed-use motorsport precinct, similar to Ipswich, be identified and zoned ‘Motorsport Only’ by the State Government for both the Southern and Northern Regional Organisation of Councils.

Specifically, we suggest that the State Government work with the Pine Rivers Shire Council to re-open the existing motorsport facility of Lakeside International Raceway and possibly extend the zoning to a boundary that would be able to accommodate all forms of on and off road motorsport.

In closing, I invite you to review the attached submission to the South East Queensland Regional Plan to recognize Lakeside International Raceway as the logical candidate for a motorsport zone for the Northern Regional Organisation of Councils.

Regards,

Ian Milton

President

Lakeside Motor Racing Enthusiasts, Inc.

there you have it people, our government won't help they'd rather just fine people and get more money instead of saving/helping young people.

this letter was done in 2005, still nothing has been done about this.

Julie

moderator- for now anyway
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VT Calais 355 + SC VY V6
With all due respect, I think thats a load of crap making excuses. Even if there is a motorsport facility put up there there will still be the same tools taking it to the street. They'll then use the excuse "We can't afford to race on the track". We've got WSID here, and street racing is as bad as ever, if not worse.

In saying that though, I'm not saying you guys shouldn't get a dragway, I'm just saying that just because you don't have one local thats no excuse to take it to the streets.

minux

Infidel Bear
Reaction score
Members Ride
300rwkw FG G6ET/Specialized Tarmac SL4
Im with Julie, there is no excuse for idiotic behaviour on the roads.

calais_304

Reaction score
Members Ride
98' VT Calais s1 - 195i
With all due respect, I think thats a load of crap making excuses.
how is this an excuse? we had tracks, people moved in, tracks were closed, the council thought it was better to throw everyone out onto the street then erect a sound barrier.

Even if there is a motorsport facility put up there there will still be the same tools taking it to the street. They'll then use the excuse "We can't afford to race on the track".
but isn't that better then every tool taking it to the street, isn't 1 life saved better then none?
and i really don't think it's to expensive to go on the skid pan is it?

We've got WSID here, and street racing is as bad as ever, if not worse.
ok think about how many tracks have been closed due to residential development. theres your answer. theres 2 i know of in brisbane that have been shut down, the ones on the goldcoast have been shut down, theres non up the sunshine coast, do you think that could be the cause? because i believe it is.

calais_304

Reaction score
Members Ride
98' VT Calais s1 - 195i
Im with Julie, there is no excuse for idiotic behaviour on the roads.
so where can you do it?(if theres no tracks), please answer that for me.:thumbsup:

minux

Infidel Bear
Reaction score
Members Ride
300rwkw FG G6ET/Specialized Tarmac SL4
so where can you do it?(if theres no tracks), please answer that for me.:thumbsup:
Why do you need to do anything? Why can't you enjoy your car on the streets?

It isn't illegal to run up to the speed limit in a controlled manner, as long as there isnt excessive noise, why can't you cruise on the highway?

What is it exactly you NEED to do?

calais_304

Reaction score
Members Ride
98' VT Calais s1 - 195i
Why do you need to do anything? Why can't you enjoy your car on the streets?

It isn't illegal to run up to the speed limit in a controlled manner, as long as there isnt excessive noise, why can't you cruise on the highway?

What is it exactly you NEED to do?
i need to put my car through it's paces, i get off on going fast espicially through corners, and the feeling of having a good close run with something just as powerful really gets the blood racing. I need to be able to have fun in a safe enviroment.

sorry im not a cruiser i can't handle putting at stupidly slow speeds.

simply if i was like you i would have bought a 4cyl even a scooter but im an enthusist, i love a fast powerful car and i love seeing if i can tame that fast powerful car.

up in QLD it is illegal if you do it to quick (don't ask im still confused).

I spose you could say i have a lead foot and a fetish for speed is that so wrong?

smokey_dj

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 vn series 2 exec [URMONY] & 93 vp calais
not sticking up for anyone just defining a difference

public rds you got lights to get the race going

track you got lights to get the race going but a time board to tell you what you did
and no hwy car at the end of the strip with a radar gun lol

as long as ive got drag to the limit off the line (not in stupid areas or heavy traffic) thats good enugh for me but stll a time would be nice

Ripcell

R8 FTW!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
324rwkw MY06 VZ R8 Maloo M6
my 0.02 dollars

to all the ppl who dont like hearing about hooning, so what, get over it. why can the government spend money on making facilities for people who like sport, or making pools for ppl who like swimming, why cant they make a facility for me to go hoon?? why? someone answer that. go on

so untill i have somewhere i can go hoon, i'll destroy my tires on he road in the SAFEST places possible NOT busy areas or back streets, me and my mates drive like an hour or more outta the burbs to go out to the country where the only thing we can harm is a few cows to tear up the roads where there is no one to harm but ourselves. and if we didnt want to take that risk we wouldnt go.

my point is im prepared to drive over an hour to go have fun, so that meand im prepared to go somewhere closer even if i have to PAY for it.

so its time for everyone here to cut the bullshit whinge whinge we dont condone that crap, and maybe start putting energy into making somewhere to go to do it safely. we hoon because its fun and we enjoy it. stop telling people to stop playing footy on a weekend, thats their hobby, this is ours.

its totally a fun factor, theres nothing better than burning up rubber going sideways. i love it, im sure everyone who does it also does it for that reason.

so insted of stopping us doing it. use some of the huge tax u make from fuel and make somewhere safe for us to go, this puts us at a lesser risk and more importantly the PUBLIC