Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Those A Pillars - Dangerous!

F

Fnomna

Exactly. If you had to drive a small convertible with a tiny rear window you'd learn to compensate pretty quickly. If you hated it and thought it was dangerous - which it's not - you wouldn't buy it.
Similar if you had to drive a minivan with no real rear or side windows. In both cases you learn to use your mirrors.

The change in A pillar size, rear view (because of higher rear and smaller view out the rear) from VH to VT was huge for me and I adapted.

Scotty_Doesn't_Know

Don't Tell Scotty...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VE Calais
BuggaBear said:
I honestly don't know how or why Holden let it go out like this.

Because obviously Holden thought people could drive. I have driven a VE SV6. There is NO safety issue if you know how to drive and be 100% situationally aware.

If you have a problem with the VE A pillars, rethink having a driver's licence. There are only blind spots in cars for people who don't know how to eliminate them.

Scotty_Doesn't_Know

Don't Tell Scotty...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VE Calais
Evman said:
The way I see it, is that if you can't adjust to a car (in general) within an hour of driving, you're just a bad driver.

ABSOLUTELY 100% AGREE WITH EVMAN!!! The A pillar isn't going to be a problem for people who are good drivers and can adapt and compensate.

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
It may not be a problem for 'good drivers', but i'm sure not just 'good drivers' will be buying VE's. IMHO a company such as Holden building a family car should take into account the fact that some people may have issues with such a large A pillar. After all why would any company want to narrow the market for their new car?

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Shortstuff said:
It may not be a problem for 'good drivers', but i'm sure not just 'good drivers' will be buying VE's. IMHO a company such as Holden building a family car should take into account the fact that some people may have issues with such a large A pillar. After all why would any company want to narrow the market for their new car?

Its the price that you pay for all the added safety equipment and the stronger structure of the car.

Its really not that bigger deal...

mongoose3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1
Scotty_Doesn't_Know said:
ABSOLUTELY 100% AGREE WITH EVMAN!!! The A pillar isn't going to be a problem for people who are good drivers and can adapt and compensate.

You know what I find amazing? The number people out there who think they are good drivers when they aren't. Sure, you may be able to adjust to driving with these A-Pillars. But, I very much doubt you will develop the clairvoyant skills needed to pick those objects that disappear behind the A-Pillar while cranking your head and darting your eyes everywhere else to see around these pillars. A good driver does not rely on mirrors. A good driver has a better idea of what is around them by looking forward, backward and side to side as well as uing mirrors. They actually teach you not to rely on your mirrors. Only bad or inexperienced drivers rely on mirrors. To say that you're a bad driver because of a huge blind spot is not only foolish and uneducated, it just goes to show the absurd levels of loyalty some people will go to. Race car drivers have huge blind spots and quite often bump into each other because of these blind spots. Are they bad drivers? Do they tack on extra mirrors? I'm sure anyone would agree they have more skills than anyone here.

Now, for just a second lets say you, scotty - the greatest driver in the world with all your mirrors perfectly adjusted, collects a pedestrian in VE. Even though you've adjusted to these pillars you looked left for just a moment and checked all your mirrors while a pedestrian on the right walked into the blind spot. How are you supposed to predict that? You can't! More importantly, how are you going to feel when you collect that person?? Think about it realistically, don't just accept a poor design compromise. And, I’ll bet if this ever happened to you, you would scream loudly that the A-pillars were at fault.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
mongoose3800 said:
You know what I find amazing? The number people out there who think they are good drivers when they aren't. Sure, you may be able to adjust to driving with these A-Pillars. But, I very much doubt you will develop the clairvoyant skills needed to pick those objects that disappear behind the A-Pillar while cranking your head and darting your eyes everywhere else to see around these pillars. A good driver does not rely on mirrors. A good driver has a better idea of what is around them by looking forward, backward and side to side as well as uing mirrors. They actually teach you not to rely on your mirrors. Only bad or inexperienced drivers rely on mirrors. To say that you're a bad driver because of a huge blind spot is not only foolish and uneducated, it just goes to show the absurd levels of loyalty some people will go to. Race car drivers have huge blind spots and quite often bump into each other because of these blind spots. Are they bad drivers? Do they tack on extra mirrors? I'm sure anyone would agree they have more skills than anyone here.

Now, for just a second lets say you, scotty - the greatest driver in the world with all your mirrors perfectly adjusted, collects a pedestrian in VE. Even though you've adjusted to these pillars you looked left for just a moment and checked all your mirrors while a pedestrian on the right walked into the blind spot. How are you supposed to predict that? You can't! More importantly, how are you going to feel when you collect that person?? Think about it realistically, don't just accept a poor design compromise. And, I’ll bet if this ever happened to you, you would scream loudly that the A-pillars were at fault.

The blind spot cause by the A pillar is no different to any other blind spot. You compensate and do a blind spot check EVERY time it is needed. You ALWAYS do a blind spot check when turning or changing lanes, and a good driver will now do a blind spot check regarding the A pillar when needed, e.g. at a Zebra Crossing.

mongoose3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1
When will you guys get it! You can not always compensate for a blind spot. Especially if it is a big one. That's why people reverse over bikes and children (sadly) in 4wd's (even in cars) - because they just can not see as blind spots are just that - blind spots. Have some of you actually driven a VE yet? I doubt it. If not take one for a drive around the city with nothing else in mind other than the blind spot. With a growing number of people commenting on this there is obviously a concern that can not just be answered with comments like "compensate". With most cars the blind spots are in areas that you only check when changing lanes or reversing. So, it is fair to say that you should check your blind spot. And, for these blind spots you can use mirrors to assist. It's a totally different story to have 2 huge blind spots in the frontal vision of a car. You just can't keep checking your blind spots. To do so just ruins the driving experience and will only cause you to become tired faster than normal as well as taking some of your focus off whats in front of you. I'm, sorry but I feel really strongly about this and can't believe those of you who can accept this so easily. I am a true Holden fan, but unlike some of you, I will say something when something is wrong. You know, I think the only way some will take this seriously is when accidents and deaths are attributed to this. As sad as it is to say that is the way the motoring industry works. Same applies to dangerous roads - people know about dangerous roads, but until proven dangerous nothing is done.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
It's obvious you feel strongly about this mongoose and you have a point to some extent, but don't burst a blood vessel when I say this:

I haven't driven a VE yet, but I plan to this weekend and make my own judgement. But at this stage, I would agree with the others and say that it's not such a big deal and it's something you adjust to.

I've driven my mate's boss' Citroen (can't remember the model name since I wasn't that interested but it's a new funky looking thing) and it had huge A pillars on a real sloping angle. It's one of the first things I commented on, but within an hour or so I was used to it. Same with my VY - I freaked out at the lack of rear vision at first, but soon got used to it and haven't had a problem since.

Anyhow, I'll get back to you after I've driven a VE...

ultimate_vn

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn executive
i personally dont care if its a big blind spot or not the real issue is that its wouldnt be an issue if the driver is constantly processing there surroundings not just doin there own little thing expecting everyone else to be on the look out.
just my 2 cents worth