Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Those A Pillars - Dangerous!

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
i've driven a few cars with big A pillars (inc. Citroens like Davey mentioned) and in my opinion they get in the way. you can certainly get used them but they are still blocking more of your vision than a car with slimmer A pillars.

mongoose3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1
davey g-force said:
It's obvious you feel strongly about this mongoose and you have a point to some extent, but don't burst a blood vessel when I say this:

I haven't driven a VE yet, but I plan to this weekend and make my own judgement. But at this stage, I would agree with the others and say that it's not such a big deal and it's something you adjust to.

I've driven my mate's boss' Citroen (can't remember the model name since I wasn't that interested but it's a new funky looking thing) and it had huge A pillars on a real sloping angle. It's one of the first things I commented on, but within an hour or so I was used to it. Same with my VY - I freaked out at the lack of rear vision at first, but soon got used to it and haven't had a problem since.

Anyhow, I'll get back to you after I've driven a VE...

Cool. I'll take a back seat for a while to see what others think. I'll be interested in what you think after your drive. All I ask is that people be realistic. And, don't get me wrong, you'll be really impressed with handing of the car.

Last edited:

Scotty_Doesn't_Know

Don't Tell Scotty...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VE Calais
mongoose3800 said:
Now, for just a second lets say you, scotty - the greatest driver in the world with all your mirrors perfectly adjusted, collects a pedestrian in VE. Even though you've adjusted to these pillars you looked left for just a moment and checked all your mirrors while a pedestrian on the right walked into the blind spot. How are you supposed to predict that? You can't! More importantly, how are you going to feel when you collect that person?? Think about it realistically, don't just accept a poor design compromise. And, I’ll bet if this ever happened to you, you would scream loudly that the A-pillars were at fault.

Um, there is no argument here as there is no blind spot a pedestrian can disappear completely into without me knowing. Unless of course they use some sort of magical disappearing spell or something. Last time I checked most things outside the car were larger than ANY a-pillar.

I don't get it, is it because I also ride a motorbike that makes my situational awareness so much better than everyone else's?

You can keep crying and trying to make Holden the scapegoat for bad drivers having accidents but your argument is empty... There are plenty of people that can get through life without any "at fault" accidents and avoid many that could have happened because of other idiots. If you arn't one of them, don't blame the car!

drewins

swear word
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore wagon
Good drivers have X ray vision guys. If you cant see through a solid object then you shouldnt be driving my friends. Scotty you seem to think that you can see every possible angle outside your car without having to turn your head or adjust your position in your seat. I beg the differ. I have never driven a VE so I cannot give my opinion as to whether the A pillar in one is dangerous. I believe that a good driver should be fully aware if there is a pedestrian on the side of the road and they should be fully aware of what they are doing. If they look like they are about to step onto the road its not hard to adjust yourself to see around even the largest of A pillars. But I do agree that Holden should make it as easy as possible for the driver to have good vision. So maybe minor adjustments can be made for the next series or model.

Evman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS M6
Has anyone driven a Monaro of late? O rmore importantly, reversed one? Those cars have terrible rear visibility due to the high boot/low roof, and the huge C pillars. I've only ever heard 1 person complain about it, and it was more of a comment on it, rather than complaint. All cars have compromises. The Monaro compromises rear visibility for looks, and the VE now with safety (if that's what we all agree the A pillars are so fat for). I guarantee that for every part on the VE, there will be at least 1 person that doesn't like it. Get over it.

Rombles

HSVDT #1
Reaction score
Website
rombles.msn.space.com
Members Ride
HSVDT Limited Ed'n Z Series Clubsport #8-6.0L/M6
Scotty_Doesn't_Know said:
Um, there is no argument here as there is no blind spot a pedestrian can disappear completely into without me knowing. Unless of course they use some sort of magical disappearing spell or something. Last time I checked most things outside the car were larger than ANY a-pillar.

I don't get it, is it because I also ride a motorbike that makes my situational awareness so much better than everyone else's?

Remind me not to walk anywhere in Canberra while this guy is on the road....:rip:

That someone can be so stubbornly dismissive of the reality of blind spots is quite terrifying. Thinking you can see everything around your car, no matter what you are driving, is far more dangerous than not actually being able to see everything around your car. If you understand that there are things and places that you may not be able to see, you are far more likely to make appropriate cautious allowances for them than if you assume that if you can't see it, then it isn't there.

You may not have killed anyone yet, Scotty, but with that attitude it will be a miracle if you never do.

Right now, hold your hand two inches in front of your face. It will block out most of your monitor (Or do you have some sort of super monitor that no hand can possibly block?). Now unless you are using a Commodore 64 SX with its tiny little 4-inch screen built in, your hand is smaller than your monitor, yet it blocked it out. Your A-pillar can definately block out objects which are actually bigger than the A-pillar, without requiring the magical disappearing spell. Believe otherwise at the peril of all around you.

F

Fnomna

Rombles said:
Right now, hold your hand two inches in front of your face. It will block out most of your monitor (Or do you have some sort of super monitor that no hand can possibly block?). Now unless you are using a Commodore 64 SX with its tiny little 4-inch screen built in, your hand is smaller than your monitor, yet it blocked it out. Your A-pillar can definately block out objects which are actually bigger than the A-pillar, without requiring the magical disappearing spell. Believe otherwise at the peril of all around you.

But now repeat your test - this time hold your hand out at 45 degrees to where you're facing. Now run past your monitor. (And make sure you capture yourself doing this on video and post it;) ) How long is the monitor out of your sight?

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Fnomna said:
But now repeat your test - this time hold your hand out at 45 degrees to where you're facing. Now run past your monitor. (And make sure you capture yourself doing this on video and post it;) ) How long is the monitor out of your sight?

hehe someone that knows whats going on ^^^. This and another comment above sum it up perfectly.

Good drivers CONTINUALLY process ALL their surroundings. But I do agree its dangerous as there are horrible drivers on the road, but any car is dangerous for these people.

Evman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS M6
1991_Vn2nV said:
Good drivers CONTINUALLY process ALL their surroundings. But I do agree its dangerous as there are horrible drivers on the road, but any car is dangerous for these people.

I can't agree more. A bad driver is a dangerous driver, and no matter what car they're driving, they're still dangerous.