Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Thought i had this over heating sorted..

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I drove V6 Commodore across Auckland with a severely blown head gasket including a stint down the motorway and it didn't suddenly overheat at 70km/h, it actually ran cooler. it only got hot when it ran low on coolant and we weren't moving fast enough for the airflow to keep the radiator cool, a quick top up with water and we continued on home. It bubbled but it didn't spew water out of the radiator either.

I did remove the thermostat as it was stuck mostly shut and probably the reason it blew a head gasket (previous owners).

Now it did blow a whole lot of coolant out of the radiator when it had a big air lock, it's an LPG car and the LPG unit was fitted higher than the motor causing all sorts of issues bleeding the engine. In the end I had to force bleed the LPG coolant lines with a garden hose which solved that problem.

As far as I'm aware all ecotec motors use the same head gaskets.

Last edited:

Gazza2005au

Reaction score
Thanks IM, my radiator is boiling over as my fans arnt turning on which is likely why the head gaskets are blown

I removed the temp sensor plug and jumped the terminals and both fans turn on a few seconds after the car starts

So i have come to the conclusion the temp sensor is faulty causing all this chaos

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
When you get it all back together, get a bleed kit for $30 or $40 on eBay and stop fking about with coke bottles.

Gazza2005au

Reaction score
Hey guys an update the car had the wrong relays apparently holden wire there relays different to a regular relay in the vt for thermo fan

I swapped both fan relays with genuine holden relays cost $45

The left fan now kicks on an off

Still no thermo fan when i turn on the a/c

Also no bubbles coming up thru the radiator now, this morning i squeezed the upper radiator hose untill the radiator stopped bubbling and she was good after that

The heater tap is also not working the little lever is "extended" the whole time

Gazza2005au

Reaction score
Hey guys a last update, i kept running the car daily and topping up the water in the radiator cap every second day running the heater as we are in winter

For the past two weeks the radiator hasn't needed to be topped up and neither has the overflow bottle

The car has just sorted its self out and bled the air out of the cooling system

The car has not overheated since installing the holden relays