Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

thoughts on 4.11 diff gears??

Scrusy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL wagon
I bought an lsd the other day.. Still waiting for it to be delivered. But a bloke at worked suggested that while im putting in the lsd that i change the gears while im at it. He said he would sell me some 4.11 gears. Whats everyones thoughts on having that in there. Im not keen on hearing a loud exhaust on the highway at 100-110. Or will it be ok?

rowe147

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ executive
with 4:11 diff gears @ 100 - 120 km/h the revs will be at like 3,500 rpm a good way for the gear box to **** it self
if you don't want to drift ever single corner i would suggest 3:45 maybe if you want the extra kick 3:70 would be good

Scrusy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL wagon
Yea i was thinking that it would be revving its tits off lol. It would be good for skids and thats about it. Old mate who wants me to buy use to go in burnout comps prob why he had it

iaydemir

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Berlina
If your using it as a daily definitely wouldn't go 4.11's.
I've made the mistake, wouldn't do it again.

Scrusy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL wagon
Yea i doubt ill be getting the 4:11 gears. Can anyone suggest a good ratio? Something with a bit of go down low but wont rev too high on the highway. Also, when i put the lsd in i have to take out the axles dont i? Its just a centre for a drum brake diff

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
with 4:11 diff gears @ 100 - 120 km/h the revs will be at like 3,500 rpm a good way for the gear box to **** it self
if you don't want to drift ever single corner i would suggest 3:45 maybe if you want the extra kick 3:70 would be good

Are you sure about that? The VL box runs .68 OD vs VN-VY .70 OD which works out to 2500rpm on a 4.11 final drive.

If you want maximum acceleration and a burnout machine without going FI, 3.89/4.11's are a good choice. Personally I like the 3.7's as an all rounder, 3:45 are barely noticeable IMO, may as well stick with 3.08.

That said, 3.7's are the most expensive due to popularity and availability.

FATMOE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Clubsport R8
3.7s is what you need. Good all rounder

padrickz88

Rick =]
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VN V6, nothing special
---Assuming its an N/A rb30--
r31 skylines came with 3.9's, so if he is selling them cheap then grab them :)

Would make it heaps nicer to drive around and probably rev at about 2500-2600 on the freeway as mentioned before.

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
I've got 3.7s in my vp with a t5. It's still got a little length in first so it skids for a bit but the gears are still a bit too tall to get her going in second. And like said above 3.45's are useless. So 3.9s or 4.11's are the go imo. They won't destroy your economy too much because while your cars on the highway it's not under much load so revs don't make a whole lot of difference. But because your engine is doing more revolutions it will wear out quicker. Like bearings and so on.. same deal with gearbox.