Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Thoughts on auto part store jacks and jackstands

grey_hawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 Ute, VS V6 snotbox
First thing I thought too...
Not impressed with the way he had to reach in to set it, and then retrieve it after letting it fall out when finished.
Mental pictures of a squashed forearm if the jack let go, which is why he is using that implement in the first place to prevent a jack collapsing.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Not impressed with the way he had to reach in to set it, and then retrieve it after letting it fall out when finished.
Mental pictures of a squashed forearm if the jack let go, which is why he is using that implement in the first place to prevent a jack collapsing.
I thought the same when he reached in to retrieve the widget… does he like having a hand… but that video highlights to me that tools on their won’t save you, but a brain and proper work practices may…

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
This is also why I bought wheel ramps, there are jobs that require the car in the air but not taking off the tires so might as well make raising the car easy as driving it up some wheel ramps.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Dad taught me to always get the wheels under the rockers, faced down, so if something happened, there is a way to get the car up and hopefully save a life.

I have the stands in. Wheels under. I keep the jack there as well but take the pressure of it.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Thanks guys for the helpful responses, and quite scary stories... I guess the general consensus is that jacks and jack stands from auto parts stores are generally safe and okay to use, and the safer jack stands are the pin design... Also, triple check everything and do not rush...
My other cautious approach (when appropriate) is to drive one set of wheels (or even one wheel) onto a short length of 4x2 or maybe 2x8 with 4x2 on top.

My theory is the vehicle is still loaded on tyres and suspension.
Handbrake, in gear, in park etc.
Solid! (Unless it's cardin shaft brake, but all of those I work on don't need jacking up)

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Dad taught me to always get the wheels under the rockers, faced down, so if something happened, there is a way to get the car up and hopefully save a life.

I have the stands in. Wheels under. I keep the jack there as well but take the pressure of it.
This!!

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
Thanks guys for the helpful responses, and quite scary stories... I guess the general consensus is that jacks and jack stands from auto parts stores are generally safe and okay to use, and the safer jack stands are the pin design... Also, triple check everything and do not rush...
Generally safe. Make sure you use the equipment properly. Supervision/spotter is not silly either. I have a rule here that the hoist is not to be used solo. That can mean just another person needs to be present.

Another scary story - A recent news story where a young lad died under his car. It didn’t go on to say if was Jack failure or lack of stands etc but one of the things that stood out for me was that he was on his own and his girlfriend came home to find him.

This is my concern alongside failure of equipment or failure of safety procedures is that if something does go wrong, does someone know to listen out/check up on you? Even if your mate/girlfriend etc is just sitting there **** talking etc at least you have help if the worst happens.