Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

thoughts on caliper painting (colour)

VTSSLS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS LS1 A4 227rwkw
Hi all,

I'm going to paint the calipers on my silver VE shortly, but I'm not sure on the colour and I'd like some outside input. As said the car is silver, it's an SSV with the stock 19" SSV wheels. Being a silver car I don't want too bright a colour, I've used the VHT racing red before and it is too bright a red for my taste, especially with clear over it which I'll be doing again (makes it last far, far longer).

So, my options are: gloss black, or try to find a way of darkening the VHT red (maybe a coat of black before spraying the red?), or use a different brand. I do want to stick with the proper brake paint or maybe engine enamel. If I did use the VHT engine enamel, could I then spray the VHT brake caliper clear over it? For a bit more gloss and protection.

Cheers!

phat_6ltr

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SS M6
I used 3M calliper paint
ysunutuv.jpg

I'd go black if they're just stockies

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
If they're stock just leave them stock.....

6ltr!!! You painted your fluid lines too!! haha

phat_6ltr

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SS M6
If they're stock just leave them stock.....

6ltr!!! You painted your fluid lines too!! haha

Haha yeah they were grey n didn't look right so kept the yellow theme going..

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
The color I used was called VHT aluminium , Its not as bright as silver , just looks as if you have polished your calipers .

VTSSLS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS LS1 A4 227rwkw
thanks for the opinions, I definitely don't want to go with silver/grey etc., too close to stock (and stock looks awful), especially with the plain silver wheels. the dark blue thing is interesting, but I think I'll have to go with black at this point. Might be too subtle/dark but better than bright fire engine red. Why can't they do a darker red like the harrop calipers. Oh well. Cheers.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I used VHT Gold Caliper paint

Nothing fancy in preparation, only wax and grease remover, water wipe down and then painted.
Lasted almost a year and a half, and i wipe them down everytime i wash the car and no dramas about peeling etc.

Plenty of pics in my build thread if you wanna have a looksy.