Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Thoughts on power restricting laws etc...

Doubleshadow

Too much is not enuff!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
Aren't we missing the big picture?

Getting pretty cars and doing crazy things is not strange for young people, especially males. I remember I was dieing to drive a nice car when I came to that age of responsibility. And when it eventually happened, I wanted to impress the girls. Pretty car, adrenalin and sexuality all tied up in that little symbol. Add that to some partying and losing my objectivity with my friends in a partying mood and you have a situation where pure adrenalin and machismo puts an undue burden on objectivity. Sure, no one wants to die, but the young likes pushing the ribbon to the edge. They want to impress their friends, and therein lies the danger.

Most of these kids are fine when they are alone, but they change when they are among friends. In other words they do stupid things. While it is inexcusable, it is understandable. I mean you all remember when you got into fights when your friends were around, and if they were not around, it probably would not have happened. Peer pressure is a major factor. And police and Insurance companies recognize this factor. Mind you, I am not saying all kids are this way. Infact, some adults are absoulte morons too in that they are kids in 45 year old bodies. But, by far, most of us learn by experience. The first time we get into an accident and have to lay up in a hospital with everything up to our balls bandaged teaches the correlation between acts and consequences. We envision our mortality. Post-pubescant teenagers think they are invulnerable. Well, they know they will die, they just dont think it will be today.

While my hypotheses are general in nature, I wish to make it clear this does not apply to all kids as some are responsible, although the problem is more endemic to the young population. Furthermore, I strongly believe if you give 10 kids souped up 8 cylinder cars in contrast to giving another group of 10 kids with ordinary hatchbacks, you would find a major phenomena. I wont give a conclusion, but you tell me which one do you think will have more accidents and drive more recklessly? It's the old, "which came first, the chicken or the egg" syndrome.

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
What does everyone think about the ideas floating around the government that they could make L platers in N.S.W have to get 100 hours of experience rather than 50?

IMO it won't make any difference. I think that if someone is going to drive like an idiot once they've passed their test, then they will whether they have 50 hours or 5000 hours of experience.

Also, as mentioned before, it won't make much difference restricting power. Even a 1.5 litre car is capable of doing over 160kph and ripping a burnout or doing a handbrake turn. In the UK you get people hooning in cars that are sometimes only 1.1 litres or less!

Dylan VT

Metal forever
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore acclaim
IMO it won't make any difference. I think that if someone is going to drive like an idiot once they've passed their test, then they will whether they have 50 hours or 5000 hours of experience.

Also, as mentioned before, it won't make much difference restricting power. Even a 1.5 litre car is capable of doing over 160kph and ripping a burnout or doing a handbrake turn. In the UK you get people hooning in cars that are sometimes only 1.1 litres or less!

Yea those are two points that I try to argue all the time, wherever this topic is brought about.

People may be more influenced to drive dangerously/fast in a big car, but they seem to be forgetting that driving dangerously is possible in any car, and if a 17 year old wants to drive his hyundai excel like an absolute maniac in a residential area, he will do it, and it sure as hell isn't the power of his car influencing him. :p
I'm not saying that EVERY P plater drives like this. I'm a P plater and drive as well as I can, but it just annoys me that powerful cars are inaccesible to P platers because of a minority, but if you look at the amount of P platers that got their P's after this restriction (like me), you'll still see that they drive like maniacs. The cars just aren't as big.

familyguy

Bog Standard
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive S2
I think the idea mentioned of a "Hoon Hotline" is a good one...but it'd be a b*stard to police. You'd get drunk mates ringing up dobbing in their buddies. Grannies calling up about everyone who drives on the speed limit when they do 40km/h, everywhere. Anyone who cuts anyone off in traffic, even by accident, would suddenly have phone calls left, right and centre. If the EPA in Victoria can take two phone calls about littering from cars then fine you, this can be made to work.

As for power ratios, I drive more carefully in my Commodore than I do in my 1990 Pulsar (1.8L of raw single cam power!!), cause I know I'll come unstuck a lot quicker in the Commo if I am at speed.

That and I've generally got my kids in the car if I'm in the Commodore...

Sad fact of life #7562723984: there will always be someone who wipes themselves, and possibly someone else, out in a car, no matter the restrictions.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
I think the idea mentioned of a "Hoon Hotline" is a good one...but it'd be a b*stard to police. You'd get drunk mates ringing up dobbing in their buddies. Grannies calling up about everyone who drives on the speed limit when they do 40km/h, everywhere. Anyone who cuts anyone off in traffic, even by accident, would suddenly have phone calls left, right and centre. If the EPA in Victoria can take two phone calls about littering from cars then fine you, this can be made to work.

As for power ratios, I drive more carefully in my Commodore than I do in my 1990 Pulsar (1.8L of raw single cam power!!), cause I know I'll come unstuck a lot quicker in the Commo if I am at speed.

That and I've generally got my kids in the car if I'm in the Commodore...

Sad fact of life #7562723984: there will always be someone who wipes themselves, and possibly someone else, out in a car, no matter the restrictions.

As i said,
would love to see a public initiative where there is a hotline to call in hoons, after 3 calls the said hoon is summonsed to court, also the 3 people who rang are sent to court also(face a fine if you don't show and hoon walks). I think this system can work and it would make ****wits think twice about driving like an idiot in front of people

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
There's a Hoon Line set up here. I called it when a guy was doing donuts by a playpark, and got a call back to say the police had paid him a visit as they had several other calls about him too. I don't know the extent of the repercussions for the driver, but it was good to know something was done.

familyguy

Bog Standard
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive S2
There's a Hoon Line set up here.
You Victorians must like anonymous dobbing a lot? Hoon line...EPA...etc...etc...

And I know you said it minux, call it a case of not reading thoroughly enough to make out your fine print. Showing up to finger the hoon would be kinda fun.

"That's him yer honour, thats the young punk that nearly ran over my Tiddles as I wandered across the six lane road against a red dont walk signal!" - Old Biddy

B

Bradg83

At the end of the day a kid will go kill themselves in a bloody toyota crown if he's doing the wrong thing.. I think the gov't need to concentrate all their energies onto driver training. I mean, how easy is it to get your license? If you can't drive a manual.. get your auto license... i mean its just too easy..

Doing things like restricting power of vehicles or even speed limiting p platers is a panacea. It works in the sense that it makes joe public go "good on the government for sticking it to those young hoons" but in reality it does **** all to cure the problem.

Also, I find it funny that v8s, turbos and superchargers are out of the question.. but you can still drive a 4cyl porsche or a ferrari.... just because its not a v8 or turbo/supercharged, dosent mean its slow

Dylan VT

Metal forever
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore acclaim
Also, I find it funny that v8s, turbos and superchargers are out of the question.. but you can still drive a 4cyl porsche or a ferrari.... just because its not a v8 or turbo/supercharged, dosent mean its slow

This gives me the sh*ts too.

My mum used to own a 1985 model Jackaroo. It was a 4 cylinder and was a 2 door, and not a speed machine by any means at all. The turbo was necessary to make it go correctly. Once the turbo died in it, the car was weak as hell.

It would have been illegal for me to drive that jackaroo because it had a turbo in it, but if I wanted to I could drive a porsche (obviously a lot faster and a lot more dangerous) and not have any law hassles.

ProMaX

Make way!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
04 VZ SS Impulse Blue Ute
I just want a V8 because i love the sound and i'd love to have one, not because i can go fast.. I could go basically any speed in the car i have now and i wouldn't push excessive speeding.
for example, if there's a wide long empty road with no-one on it, sure i might go 100 in an 70/80 zone as long as there are no major turns etc.
but no way in hell i'd go over 50 in a 50 zone

besides if i did buy a V8 i wouldn't risk damaging it because i cherish it and take too much care of it

oh yeah n in relation to bradg83's post, people can also buy rotors like an RX8 or anything as powerful as chevy big blocks