Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Thoughts on power restricting laws etc...

Dylan VT

Metal forever
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore acclaim
Hi everyone. :)

I just thought I'd start up a discussion about the power restricting laws that have come about these last few years, because I know I have opinions I'd like to share, and I'm sure a lot of you do too. :)

As a lot of you would be aware, in N.S.W (not sure about other states) a P plater (red or green) is unable to drive cars that are V8's, turbocharged, or supercharged. Obviously, this law has come about to try and limit the amount of fast/careless driving done by P platers. I think it's a good idea that the government is trying to make younger drivers drive slower and more safely, but I think that these laws are on a tangent that just aggrivate people a lot more than make them drive more safely/slowly.

One of my arguments is that, it doesn't matter what kind of engine/modifications the car has - if a driver wants to drive their car fast, then they will.
Of course, an SS commodore is going to be able to reach higher speeds a lot faster, but doing 100km/h in a 50 zone in an SS, is basically the same as doing 100km/h in a 50 done in a Mitsubishi Mirage. They are both 50km/h over the speed limit, and they are both going to suffer immense amount of damage to the vehicle/persons in the vehicle if a collision occurs.

Thoughts? Let's hear 'em. :thumbsup:

Doubleshadow

Too much is not enuff!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
Insurance companies run extensive studies that you would be amazed their findings. For instance, it was found that drivers in red sport cars are more likely to be driving agressively, than say drives in green sports cars. The human psyche can be illogical sometimes.

And yes, I do believe the car we drive can influence our attitude in driving. When I am driving and I turn up my music loud, along with the deep growl of my engine, I can actual feel my attitude change. I am sure if I was driving a beat up VW Bug I would never get that urge. I would be trying to hussle on home to get that piece of **** off the street before I scrape someone and give them gangrene from the rust :).

CHANDLC

BushBasher
Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 V6 VS LEXCEN
They have it for motor bikes so why not cars, but at the same time I had a 99 AU V8 when I was still on my P plates and never had a problem with the law, yes i did get a few speeding tickets but i got them in my VS as well, but when we wanted to have some fun we just went out to a big flat off the streets and had our fun.

Attachments

• **** 011.jpg
    **** 011.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 164
  • **** 012.jpg
    **** 012.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 106
  • **** 013.jpg
    **** 013.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 152
  • **** 014.jpg
    **** 014.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 130
  • **** 015.jpg
    **** 015.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 141
  • **** 016.jpg
    **** 016.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 118

Dylan VT

Metal forever
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore acclaim
It's obvious that if you have a big nice car, then you're going to want to drive more aggressively.

I notice that if I have certain Pantera songs on in my car, I can drive slightly more aggressively/more carelessly.

The car you're driving is obviously going to have a big influence on whether or not you want to drive fast, but I think that there are many people out there who do speed in regular cars because they can, and also because they can't get ahold of the power that they'd like to, so they just do their best with what they have.

I hate walking down the street at night time and seeing souped up early 90's model nissan pulsars just hooning around and making a lot of noise. I just think...if you saved your car money and souping up money, you could buy yourself a nice commodore! :thumbsup:

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
It's obvious that if you have a big nice car, then you're going to want to drive more aggressively.

Not true, i used to own a vt gen 3 berlina but i never felt the urge to put the foot down.
If anything, i was more careful!
Just because people own powerful cars doesn't nessecarily mean they are aggressive drivers, if you feel you want to drive aggressive in a powerful car then you shouldn't buy one.
I'm 28, have driven V8's since i've had my license(10 years) and never felt the need to push it any harder than normal.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
They have it for motor bikes so why not cars, but at the same time I had a 99 AU V8 when I was still on my P plates and never had a problem with the law, yes i did get a few speeding tickets but i got them in my VS as well, but when we wanted to have some fun we just went out to a big flat off the streets and had our fun.

Thats because your AU had the power to weight ratio that rivalled a Hyundai excel :)

J_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 and VS V8 Statesman
Insurance companies run extensive studies that you would be amazed their findings. For instance, it was found that drivers in red sport cars are more likely to be driving agressively, than say drives in green sports cars. The human psyche can be illogical sometimes.

I would say it is mostly about the car people choose to drive as opposed to the car making them more agressive etc. A lot of the younger drivers out there buy a powerful car so they can do stupid stuff and then anyone with a powerful car or modified car gets a bad name.

Take suspension as an example, if you lower your car it improves the cars handling but the insurance company jacks up your premium. Its not the properties of the suspension they care about its the mentality of the driver that has taken a specific decision to increase the performance of the car, because people in modified cars have more crashes than people who dont drive modified cars.

Dylan VT

Metal forever
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore acclaim
Not true, i used to own a vt gen 3 berlina but i never felt the urge to put the foot down.
If anything, i was more careful!
Just because people own powerful cars doesn't nessecarily mean they are aggressive drivers, if you feel you want to drive aggressive in a powerful car then you shouldn't buy one.
I'm 28, have driven V8's since i've had my license(10 years) and never felt the need to push it any harder than normal.

Well here we have yet another side to the argument.
People can say they want bigger cars just because they like the sound and it feels nice to be able to own a V8, and if you are a genuine person who owns a V8 for the love of cars, and not for the love of power, then you are at a disadvantage (if you're younger) because this opportunity has been ruined for you by the minority. There are plenty of P platers out there that want to drive safely.

I believe it's more about personal choice rather than the government trying to find ways to restrict the power.

What does everyone think about the ideasd floating around the government that they could make L platers in N.S.W have to get 100 hours of experience rather than 50?

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
What does everyone think about the ideasd floating around the government that they could make L platers in N.S.W have to get 100 hours of experience rather than 50?

I think until they teach learners HOW TO DRIVE and not HOW TO PASS A TEST then we will still get idiots who can't drive on the roads. I would love to see a public initiative where there is a hotline to call in hoons, after 3 calls the said hoon is summonsed to court, also the 3 people who rang are sent to court also(face a fine if you don't show and hoon walks). I think this system can work and it would make ****wits think twice about driving like an idiot in front of people, as it stands now i just call my brother in law, he pays the drivers a visit, 8/10 times when you see them on the road again, they are driving in a much more safe manner.

Dylan VT

Metal forever
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore acclaim
I think until they teach learners HOW TO DRIVE and not HOW TO PASS A TEST then we will still get idiots who can't drive on the roads. I would love to see a public initiative where there is a hotline to call in hoons, after 3 calls the said hoon is summonsed to court, also the 3 people who rang are sent to court also(face a fine if you don't show and hoon walks). I think this system can work and it would make ****wits think twice about driving like an idiot in front of people, as it stands now i just call my brother in law, he pays the drivers a visit, 8/10 times when you see them on the road again, they are driving in a much more safe manner.
So true. Being an L plater is more about meeting the criteria of the P's test, rather than being able to drive well.

My car is an auto, but I can drive manual very well, and I take pride in that. I think it should be compulsory to have at least a few lessons on manual, and be taught HOW TO DRIVE MANUAL rather than just be able to make the car go and stop. I'm talking engine braking and the whole deal.

I also have a problem with the idea that they ned to gain twice as many hours now. They bring that idea up, with the idea that P platers have the most accidents because of a lack of experience, so we'll just make the L platers drive more. But seriously, being a P plater (17 year old male in a car by himself) is about freedom, and if they go ballistic after having to be in the car with a parent after 50 hours, imagine how nuts they'll go after 100! Plus...it isn't so much a lack of driving experience, but moreso a lack of being taught to drive well, and also their choice to drive like maniacs if they wish to.

Thoughts?