Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Thoughts on this dyno graph?

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Here's a link to the one Revhigh do, https://www.revhigh.com.au/stealth-throttle-controller-vitesse-ve

but basically...

It changes the way the throttle body reacts when you engage the go pedal and depending on the setting, will increase, shorten or completely remove the delay when you depress the accelerator pedal to when the throttle body reacts.

Economy mode reduces the throttle response to save fuel and make acceleration as sedate as possible (for when your granny wants to pop down to the bowls club for bingo in your GTS ), whereas the 13 different Sport modes increase throttle response and make the throttle body react immediately and open faster.

I to 7 makes the throttle reaction incrementally faster and 7 to 13 makes the throttle body itself open faster. Anything from 11 and above is tyre frying lunacy with the slightest tap resulting in a significant launch...even in 6th gear at low revs gear on a freeway.

There's also a rev increase function for using a winch or jump starting.

Standard mode is just normal and there's another mode where it goes to Ecomomy for regular driving, then switches to Sport 3 (I think) when you need to stomp it, then back to Ecomony when things calm down.

I understand what a throttle controller does, maybe I should have rephrased my question better.

A good tuner will improve the response, performance, efficiency including economy of the engine so why would you need a throttle controller to mimic what the tuner has done for you.

I can understand why some owner's with an untuned engine may see some value in one but not for a properly tuned car.

Are there other owners of tuned cars with throttle controllers on the forum, I'd be interested to hear what they have to say as well.

I'm not having a go at you, just interested as I've always been told there's no need for one on a tuned car.

Your graph is normal for your mods, it's about the same as my manual L98 powered VE Ute.

Last edited:

VF Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 2 Redline ute
I understand what a throttle controller does, maybe I should have rephrased my question better.

A good tuner will improve the response, performance, efficiency including economy of the engine so why would you need a throttle controller to mimic what the tuner has done for you.

I can understand why some owner's with an untuned engines may see some value in one but not for a properly tuned car.

Are there other owners of tuned cars with throttle controllers on the forum, I'd be interested to hear what they have to say as well.

I'm not having a go at you, just interested as I've always been told there's no need for one on a tuned car.

Your graph is normal for your mods, it's about the same as my manual L98 powered VE Ute.

I had a throttle controller on mine before it got tuned. Told the tuner I had it on and he told me to take it off before I delivered the car to them. While I did notice faster throttle response from less pedal movement with the throttle controller on, I was never really happy with the feel of it. It certainly didn't add more power and I was thinking of taking it off anyway. Since having my tune, throttle response is perfect for me along with added performance. I feel no need to put the controller back on.

chris2872

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VFSS
It's like that chick in the taco ad who asks, "Why not both?" It's one of those best of both worlds things. Not for everyone, but thats cool. I happy with mine

Last edited:

chris2872

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VFSS
270kw is pretty much on the money most dynos range from 260-280 with those mods.
You can't just assume drive train loss with 25%. It'll likely be more like 15-20% tbh.

Yeah I know, but I needed a figure to base the math on and thought I'd go conservative rather than get all delusional on purpose

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
A throttle controller changes the pedal ratio basically, so if the engine revs to 3000rpm with 5mm of accelerator pedal depression in neutral stock, with a throttle controller, it'll rev to 3000rpm with 1mm accelerator pedal depression. It gives the impression the engine has better throttle response but realistically, it does nothing performance wise. Cracking the throttle with throttle controller feels a bit like running an automatic off the drive plate with the box and converter out, light flywheel effect.

BMW M cars change the throttle sensitivity and pedal ratio in sports mode and if you hold constant throttle at 80kmph and hit sports+, the car will accelerate to 90kmph, so it opens the butterfly more without pedal depression.

SV6's are bit lazy on the throttle where you need to stand on it a bit to get them moving. Jump in an FG Falcon that has a sensitive throttle and press it like an SV6, you'll light it up just about! The V8 throttle sensitivity feels good, but an SV6 would likely feel sharper with a throttle controller.

Last edited:
H

harrop.senator

SV6's are bit lazy on the throttle where you need to stand on it a bit to get them moving. Jump in an FG Falcon that has a sensitive throttle and press it like an SV6, you'll light it up just about! The V8 throttle sensitivity feels good, but an SV6 would likely feel sharper with a throttle controller.

If ve is same as vz with the torque management installed on the sv6 it doesn't go over 50% throttle until 35-3600rpm and everything is at half scale.

So 20% input at pedal = 10% throttle opening under that rpm.

At least it's what a tuners told me. Unsure how true it is

chris2872

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VFSS
But it doesn't 'mimic' what a tuner has done.

But being able to set throttle response at the touch of a button so the car behaves exactly how you want is a handy feature and a good thing to have.

myksomerville

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve SSV S2 Redline
The graph would be more useful if it showed the rpm so you can see what is happening power wise as it revs.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The power/torque curve is almost irrelevant as it is based on engine performance at 100% throttle, unless you drive around with your foot buried to the floor that is.

PS; I’d have preferred if the ECU didn’t have many features that influence throttle blade opening and simply left it to the drivers right foot. But pollution issues, ESC, driveline safety and many other functions actually influence how and when the throttle opens and closes, with %throttle being just one factor. Thats why a throttle controller seems like a waste of money (imho) :rolleyes:

There is a reason any Tom, dick or Harry can jump in a car with over 400hp and not kill themselves and the electronic throttle is a big part of that nanny system.