Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Thoughts on this dyno graph?

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
A throttle controller changes the pedal ratio basically, so if the engine revs to 3000rpm with 5mm of accelerator pedal depression in neutral stock, with a throttle controller, it'll rev to 3000rpm with 1mm accelerator pedal depression. It gives the impression the engine has better throttle response but realistically, it does nothing performance wise. Cracking the throttle with throttle controller feels a bit like running an automatic off the drive plate with the box and converter out, light flywheel effect.

BMW M cars change the throttle sensitivity and pedal ratio in sports mode and if you hold constant throttle at 80kmph and hit sports+, the car will accelerate to 90kmph, so it opens the butterfly more without pedal depression.

SV6's are bit lazy on the throttle where you need to stand on it a bit to get them moving. Jump in an FG Falcon that has a sensitive throttle and press it like an SV6, you'll light it up just about! The V8 throttle sensitivity feels good, but an SV6 would likely feel sharper with a throttle controller.

My BMW also jumps when I hit the sports mode button while in motion, do you also notice how the accelerator pedal becomes instantly firm under your foot, it requires more effort to press?

At the same time the steering response through the steering wheel also becomes firm in your hands.

You can physically feel the characteristics of the car change.

Still none of it is over sensitive, it still has a nice progressive feel.

Last edited:

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
But it doesn't 'mimic' what a tuner has done.

But being able to set throttle response at the touch of a button so the car behaves exactly how you want is a handy feature and a good thing to have.

No it doesn't exactly mimic what the tuner does, in my opinion the tuner does it better but each to their own as it's what you like that is important.

I recently was told my Ute looks f**king s**t, fair enough, if that's what my grandmother thinks then she's entitled to her opinion.

Last edited:

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute
Also "Correction factor Applied: SAE J1349"

SAE J1349 is a widely accepted industry standard correction factor for dyno testing. Reengineered in 1990, the SAE correction factor standardises temperature to 77-degrees F (25ͦ C), 29.23inHg (0.97689752 Atmosphere) and dry, 0-percent humid air (0% Humidity).

Uless the dyno run was done in a sealed, pressure, temperature, & humidity controlled environment and/or all three of those variables in bold were as stated the result can not be guarranteed as accurate. The more items and the further from the given reading each is, the greater the compunding of the variance of accuracy will be.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
There is a reason any Tom, dick or Harry can jump in a car with over 400hp and not kill themselves and the electronic throttle is a big part of that nanny system.
Yeah I know the reasons for such nannies.

But i bought a 308kw 510Nm V8 which doesn’t like to spin it’s wheels as all that nanny crap kicks in to protect me and what seems like the weak driveline…

Even turning the mode knob to “track” and repeatedly pressing the SC button to remove most of the TC/SC cruff, it still doesn't behave like an old 70’s pre pollution V8 with a dumb as door knob cable throttle and auto (those old cars had so much less power but heaps more character)…

Unfortunately we’ve lost heaps of character from our modern era cars because nannies know best :mad: I can see why ignoring EPA rules and getting an ECU/TCU tune is so appealing :p

Daniel Souza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Wagon SSV Redline
HPtuners has a table to change pedal sensitivity however it says don’t touch it because there is a risk of bricking the ECU.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Yeah I know the reasons for such nannies.

But i bought a 308kw 510Nm V8 which doesn’t like to spin it’s wheels as all that nanny crap kicks in to protect me and what seems like the weak driveline…

Even turning the mode knob to “track” and repeatedly pressing the SC button to remove most of the TC/SC cruff, it still doesn't behave like an old 70’s pre pollution V8 with a dumb as door knob cable throttle and auto (those old cars had so much less power but heaps more character)…

Unfortunately we’ve lost heaps of character from our modern era cars because nannies know best :mad: I can see why ignoring EPA rules and getting an ECU/TCU tune is so appealing :p

That's why I own a VS 5lt.

crew chief

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Turbo, WB Ute, VF 2300 Harrop
Take this, the factory table
Screenshot 2021-07-08 201808.png

And make it look like this.........much better

Screenshot 2021-07-08 202102.png

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
^ Are you sure that's a modified VF table, and you've not accidentally uploaded the VN Series I GM-3800 mapping table?

The number of surprised faces on company-car drivers as they accidentally performed one-wheel-peels in light drizzle taking off from the lights ... :)

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
My BMW also jumps when I hit the sports mode button while in motion, do you also notice how the accelerator pedal becomes instantly firm under your foot, it requires more effort to press?

At the same time the steering response through the steering wheel also becomes firm in your hands.

You can physically feel the characteristics of the car change.

Still none of it is over sensitive, it still has a nice progressive feel.
Yes, BMW does a nice job of their sports modes particularly the M cars where you can select the characteristics you want switchable with a steering wheel button.