Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

snortings

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 SV6
I had the pirelli dragon sport for a week until I had a fault with my pedal position sensor and shot me and my VE SV6 into a tree stump (no I wasn't at fault, Holden proved). From what I could tell from a week of driving, they were fairly good. Good cornering grip, little road noise. It is a little louder when turning a little faster though.

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
I like the way your thinking Forg, I have struggled with this decision but now I think you have helped me decide.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Well that was easy, I’ll take that commission from Jax quick-smart ... while you’re in a buying mood, I’ve been given sole rights to sell this lovely bridge right on Sydney Harbour, for you only, special deal ... :D

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Never skimp on tyres, always buy the best you can afford and be prepared to sacrifice some tyre life to gain safety, it's better to reduce your tyre life than your own or your family.

Cheap tyres are cheap for a reason and I quiver at the thought of them, Commodores are heavy beasts and if you can't afford good tyres then you probably can't afford the car.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Never skimp on tyres, always buy the best you can afford and be prepared to sacrifice some tyre life to gain safety, it's better to reduce your tyre life than your own or your family.

Cheap tyres are cheap for a reason and I quiver at the thought of them, Commodores are heavy beasts and if you can't afford good tyres then you probably can't afford the car.

Cheap doesn't always mean nasty and the best money can buy doesn't mean the best for safety either....

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Cheap doesn't always mean nasty and the best money can buy doesn't mean the best for safety either....
Don’t confuse “the best” with “the most expensive”; but unless you’re buying tyres for countries that are too cold for human habitation, the best tyres are going to be the safest tyres 99.9% of the time.

HotdogNo1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSv Redline A6 W407
I’m tossing up between the R003, KU39 and PS4S.
The Michelin man actually recommended the KU39 as he thought on a daily the PS4S were probably overkill.
I have been using Bridgestones for the last 16 years and have been happy with them, but not really tried too many others.
When I bought my VE SSV wagon, it had PS3 on from factory, they were very good, but gone in 15,000km’s.
I also had some Yoko V105? On my VZ Clubsport, I thought they were terrible.
I currently have the Bridgestone R003, I have done 33,000km’s on them, the rears are ready to be replaced, the fronts maybe have another 10k in them.
My question though, are the PS4S really that good, or does everyone say they are, to justify what they have spent on them?
PS4S really are that good
hands down.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars

Possibly not but 'rule of thumb' says you'll be in the ballpark in both those extremes.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I have had $115 tyres that were terrible, and yet for $120 I bought some really good Chinese ones. Then later I negotiated on some Kumho's for $125 and even better again. Obviously going to be a bit more expensive when you're looking at 17s or 18s but I'm with VC there are some good tyres without paying a fortune.

I have had Dragons and they were brill but I probably got 35k out of a set as they are a sports tyre.

White Swan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS
I have had $115 tyres that were terrible, and yet for $120 I bought some really good Chinese ones. Then later I negotiated on some Kumho's for $125 and even better again. Obviously going to be a bit more expensive when you're looking at 17s or 18s but I'm with VC there are some good tyres without paying a fortune.

I have had Dragons and they were brill but I probably got 35k out of a set as they are a sports tyre.

Chinese brand tyres have a very bad rap and most articles I've seen on them say to avoid, I've read statements like think of your family's safety.

Other than that I think some of the fellows are talking very difference tyres to you, your $120 - $125 are not going to compare to something like the PS4S and those people buying them are very unlikely to be interested in what you've fitted.

The Dragon Sports are Pirelli's entry level sports tyre and doesn't fall in the category of their performance offerings like the P Zero Corsa and such.

Horses for courses really, you can't have long life and exceptional handling and braking as well, so you need to pick a side.

Exceptional handling and braking costs money and there are quite a few good options to choose from, long wear life tyres have a million varieties as they are purchased by the bulk of people who see a car as an A to B proposition and tyres as an inconvenient expense like servicing the vehicle and they don't give a stuff and will jump at whatever's the cheapest without another thought.