Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Chinese brand tyres have a very bad rap and most articles I've seen on them say to avoid, I've read statements like think of your family's safety.

Strange, I have read on here some people asking about a particular brand, which happens to be chinese made and cheapish. What do I believe?

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Strange, I have read on here some people asking about a particular brand, which happens to be chinese made and cheapish. What do I believe?

I’m from a manufacturing background where I worked for a number of multinationals and who manufactured in countries all over the world and I can say with much faith and experience that a Chinese owned branded product and a product for a Western company made in China are two completely different animals with completely different quality control processes.

It is seriously chalk and cheese.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I’m from a manufacturing background where I worked for a number of multinationals and who manufactured in countries all over the world and I can say with much faith and experience that a Chinese owned branded product and a product for a Western company made in China are two completely different animals with completely different quality control processes.

It is seriously chalk and cheese.

Stange that people on this very forum have commented about Kumhos and how they are a nice tyre and cheap too boot....Sheet, some of the Kumhos are MADE IN CHINA....Their quality control process is all handled within the country that the product is made, not a world wide guideline issued by the company

I can also tell you, that Kumho is 49% owned by another company that makes blacklion tyres....Not sure where that company is based though

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Don’t confuse “the best” with “the most expensive”; but unless you’re buying tyres for countries that are too cold for human habitation, the best tyres are going to be the safest tyres 99.9% of the time.

I don't confuse best with expensive.....I run with what is the best tyre for the car and owners application.....

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Stange that people on this very forum have commented about Kumhos and how they are a nice tyre and cheap too boot....Sheet, some of the Kumhos are MADE IN CHINA....Their quality control process is all handled within the country that the product is made, not a world wide guideline issued by the company

I can also tell you, that Kumho is 49% owned by another company that makes blacklion tyres....Not sure where that company is based though

And as is common practice in those agreements, the manufacturer pays the parent company over and above the landed cost of product for every failure.

That’s not a bad incentive to get it right.

If you want me to say manufacturing in China is rubbish then I won’t bite as I know better.

China can produce product to a high standard like any other nation, they can also make pure crap if they choose because they are ungoverned and corrupt.

I’ve had a lot of dealings in China with production and I wouldn’t buy a Chinese brand tyre simply because I wouldn’t trust what I was getting, that doesn’t mean I wouldn’t buy a tyre manufactured in China where I knew the Brand would face litigation in the west.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
China is capable of making any quality level you'd like.
But most 'middlemen' just want the cheapest possible...

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
China is capable of making any quality level you'd like.
But most 'middlemen' just want the cheapest possible...
There's also the need to "beat" everyone else; so if you're said middleman & you pay for a certain quality, the manufacturer will undoubtedly feel the need to "defeat" you by quietly reducing quality & cost-to-manufacture … it's Winning At Bargaining!

BlaserF3

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF/S1 SS Storm Ute - quite warmed up
There's also the need to "beat" everyone else; so if you're said middleman & you pay for a certain quality, the manufacturer will undoubtedly feel the need to "defeat" you by quietly reducing quality & cost-to-manufacture … it's Winning At Bargaining!

I can confirm this by first hand experience via the manufacturing of conveyor system mid-frames.... company I work for went "cheap" and had to have re-work performed here in Oz...

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
A lot of Pirellis are made in China and I have never had a problem with one.
But I wouldn't buy a no name Tyre made in China, or anywhere else.

Sir Les

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 MY14
I think one thing that hasn't been considered here when discussing the price of tyres is rim size, load rating and speed rating. We all know that when fitting tyres to a vehicle, by law you must fit tyres that equal or exceed the manufacturer's specifications as shown on the tyre placard. In my case, that means 19" rim size, a load rating of 98 (750 kg) and a speed rating of W (270 km/h). Now, there's no way I'm going to drive anywhere near that speed, but I have no choice if I wish to remain legal (and have valid insurance).

All these factors combine to make for a pretty highly spec'd tyre, and they don't come cheap. Yes, there are some sub-$200 tyres that meet the specification (in theory), but they're made by brands I've never heard of. Any tyres that do meet the spec and are made by a reputable manufacturer cost in the mid to high $200's, and up to $400 and beyond. Even the OE Bridgestone Turanza 001's are around the mid-$300's. So I reckon getting Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's, with their superior handling, safety and comfort for just over $300 per tyre, was well worth it to me for peace of mind alone.

As someone above said it's horses for courses, but when winter comes, it's dark and wet and some silly sod does something stupid necessitating quick action, I won't be thinking of the extra few quid I paid per tyre -- I'll just be glad I've got the best rubber on the road that's presently available at a reasonable price.