Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Thread locker

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
What are the differences with various thread lock products and what would be suggested uses?

Yes I’ve gone to the websites, but I find real peoples experience a valuable tool for learning.

What is your preferred brand to use?

I note that commonly blue and red get used a bit but I’m guessing that would change with brand?

In particular the red that’s been used on my control arm bolts. With a torque of 360Nm (for the front) and a pinkish thread lock residue on the bolt, it’s going to be important I get this right.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Loctite or Permatex. Blue for serviceable/reusable and red for throwaway or high torque

There's a torque rating on these products to help you choose, at 360nm it's the above brands in red

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I have loctite because that is what we have at work and it works. Have also used other brands in the past and they worked too. Preparation is key, clean surfaces.

So I'd use what ever flavour you are happy with, just get the one that has the correct holding specs for what you are trying to achieve.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Also double check what it can be used on.
For example we only used to use blue loctite because it was rated for the processes we had to use it in (Jet Fuels)

But same as immortality, I have loctite brand because it was what was available at work.

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute
I cast my vote for Loctite too. Have used their products since my apprenticeship in the 1970s. Purple for small fine fiddly threads, Blue for removable and reusable nuts and bolts, Red for in-once-and-forever (such as studs into engine block), Green for sleeves bushes and bearings that you want to stay in place and never vibrate out of position.

Shangus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Magnum, VFII CalaisV, VEII SV6, VZ X6 tonner
I cast my vote for Loctite too. Have used their products since my apprenticeship in the 1970s. Purple for small fine fiddly threads, Blue for removable and reusable nuts and bolts, Red for in-once-and-forever (such as studs into engine block), Green for sleeves bushes and bearings that you want to stay in place and never vibrate out of position.
I’ve learnt something today. I’ve only ever used red Loctite, cheers

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I thought this was a thread about immortality.
He is always locking archeological threads that the newbees dig up...
:rolleyes:
Sometimes he takes it too far. Let’s not forget @immortality loves locking his car.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I found these and thought they'd be handy for others.
Screen Shot 2022-01-31 at 4.55.42 pm.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-31 at 4.52.02 pm.png

This one compares the three digit Loctite product (right column D) and the permatex product (column B).

There is also a new Permatex not available in Australia, Orange which is 3x stronger than red High Strength but is removable.