Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Three fuel pumps in two months

miss_trucka

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
92 Vp commodore.

Ive blown three fuel pumps in two months. does anyone have any idea why?

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
replace the relay.....

miss_trucka

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
We've swapped the relays around with ones that i know arent faulty.
Does anyone know the correct voltage that should be going to the pump? So i can put the multimeter on it

vn_wagon90

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN Wagon
Just throwing it out there, cause you never know , By chance have you changed the fuel filter and blown the lines out. Just in case the pump has let go letting chunks go through the system.

miss_trucka

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Ive done a complete filter service on it 4 weeks ago. I was driving it and it just cut out, exactly how it did when it died on me 2 weeks ago. I cant hear the pump either. Im also not getting any fuel out of my line. So its a pretty good indicator that the pump is gone. I cant smell fuel, so i dont think any of my lines have blown off

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
are you sure its the pump and not a broken rubber return line inside the tank causing the pump not to pick up fuel when it gets to about a quarter ?Happenned to me and when I changed the pump I had to prime the lines on the steel line under the bonnet for it to pump fuel also a new pump doesnt make as much noise as a old one so you really have to listen to hear it prime for the few seconds when you first hit the key

miss_trucka

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
The return line was perished when i replaced the first pump. I was told it wouldnt have an affect on the car. It would make sense though, i never run the car under quarter but it seems to splutter when it gets to quarter.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
it will affect the car big time especially when the tank gets low and you go around a corner...that hose returns fuel to the pot that the pump pickup sits in and as the fuel returns it pulls more fuel from inside the tank to keep the pot full enough for the pickup to get the liquid fuel the pump needs to keep pumping.
To test you need to take the rubber line off between the gauge unit that goes to the filter and put it into a bucket and turn the key on( but not to start) and see if the pump primes and pumps some fuel for the couple of seconds it is supposed to.

miss_trucka

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
thanks mate, thats bloody brilliant advice. Id never heard that. even from all the mechanics i spoke too!
Any idea where to buy that line from? or can i just use normal fuel line?

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
holden sell it as a spare part......part number 92047898 complete with quick release connector ...drama is its inside the tank but you can get it take off old hose using some different techniques and replace it yourself..... if youre game.... heres a thread about it
you cant use normal fuel line.... it will stuff up ........you need submersible fuel hose
voltage across purple and black wires in white pump connector should be your cars normal battery voltage (around 12v)

Last edited: