Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

throttle bodies i know sfa

calais_304

Reaction score
Members Ride
98' VT Calais s1 - 195i
hi all,

am chasing some info on throttle bodies and is it worth upgrading to a bigger one? i have no idea of what size would best suit or the top brands to look at so im after any and all info on this please, a cost range would be great to.

is 80mm to big? does anyone know what size the VT5L came with?
cheers all

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
heeno said:
hi all,

am chasing some info on throttle bodies and is it worth upgrading to a bigger one? i have no idea of what size would best suit or the top brands to look at so im after any and all info on this please, a cost range would be great to.

is 80mm to big? does anyone know what size the VT5L came with?
cheers all

80mm is massive and quite likely to be hugely expensive. As far as I know the standard throttle body on 5 litres from VN to VT was constant at 65mm. There are a heap of Yella Terra 70mm ones floating around on ebay for a few hundred which isn't a bad price. On a stock engine you're not likely to get a heap more (or any) extra power, but it probably wouldn't hurt.

calais_304

Reaction score
Members Ride
98' VT Calais s1 - 195i
pandaman said:
On a stock engine you're not likely to get a heap more (or any) extra power, but it probably wouldn't hurt.
What if i already had exhaust(pacemaker, split 2.5in and cold air (hsv snorkel k&n panel)

cheers

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
I still don't think it'd add much to the power, some people say that it helps but I'd imagine the only thing that would be changing would be response.

If you changed your t/b you'd probably want to port out your runners and the inlet and maybe the inlet ports on your block before hand, not a necessity but if you wanted the most out fo the tb then that'd be the go.

I have a EL throttle body, similar to the xf on my vl, its about 75mm or so and I picked it up pretty cheap from a wreckers, I have to modify the Throttle position sensor but everything else is fine.