Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Throttle body issue ?

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Inside the fuel sender unit has a sieve attached to the fuel pump. I just wash the original ones in the washing machine. They come out like brand new.

If nothing else fixes it, you have to start looking at the valves.

Just gotta eliminate stuff one by one when you got no codes by making sure things are in good order. Definitely try your spare throttle body if you got one, and definitely clean those sensors in the timing cover.

You can just cut a ring out of an old tube or use a big o-ring to try your spare throttle body. Bit of gasket toothpaste.

Last edited:

Sliding_vt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt exc
Inside the fuel sender unit has a sieve attached to the fuel pump. I just wash the original ones in the washing machine. They come out like brand new.

If nothing else fixes it, you have to start looking at the valves.

Just gotta eliminate stuff one by one when you got no codes by making sure things are in good order. Definitely try your spare throttle body if you got one, and definitely clean those sensors in the timing cover.

You can just cut a ring out of an old tube or use a big o-ring to try your spare throttle body. Bit of gasket toothpaste.

Thanks for the reply

ya up top it runs well pumps fine but ya the sock would be filthy

ya slowly slowly i just cant wait to get my fancy scope based coil testng tool to cheek burn time etc to make sure all six are in good running order

ya i read about you doing your valves in anther thread was it a head off job ?

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
No. With the heads on. I would do it again too, but make a better tool.

Sliding_vt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt exc
No. With the heads on. I would do it again too, but make a better tool.

Thanks for all the help

i have got a decent coil testing tool

have tried to get all coils to run well but they all show up as "faulty" according to the scope I've got 3 sets here so definitely something is at play

but i have today cleaned out the top end gear vvt valves and the hall effect cam angle sensors and clicked the valves they seemed to run but 1 had slightly less power then others so might swap that bank with 2x new

i am leading its an intermittent crank angle sensor fault now its like the coils are seeming to turn of bank by bank or something silly , will get a spare sensor at wreckers

but i do get P0018 twice now so probably is a vvt valve or chain just starting to go bad

i really apperciate all your help

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
No worries. I am interested to see how it turns out. I wonder if you have good oil pressure?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
There is more counterfeit sparkplugs around than genuine ones. Counterfeit plugs will easily result in rough idle and poor performance. You would really have to know what you are looking for to spot the fake. Even retailers have been caught out being supplied fakes.

Buy from a reputable outlet. Don’t use eBay or Amazon.

Sliding_vt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt exc
No worries. I am interested to see how it turns out. I wonder if you have good oil pressure?

ya has ok oil pressure not great but its ok

once warm on idle it has 100kpa to 95 from memory and 300kpa on 2k rpm driving or so

15/40 is the weight of oil im running is that ok or is 5/30 a must

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
5w30 is the recommended oil, and the thick oil wouldn't be helping at all. Maybe you got timing issues from the wrong oil. Cleaning the galleries for the camshafts and the pickup, and putting the right oil in couldn't hurt.

I am having my own issues with idle since you wrote. With three cars, none of which had any codes. Same issue as you. You started something.

I have solved two so far. The first one involved the camshaft actuators and sensors. I cleaned them first, because they were awful from sludge. No joy. Then I changed them with parts from a wreck. Immediate good idle, no more stalling.

Second one, I suspected the throttle body had crapped itself. I got one from a wreck, no joy. I cleaned and tested everything else, did some coil pack swapping, couldn't find anything wrong. Brought me back to the throttle body and I thought bugger it, and went and found another. Success.

The third car everything else is fine, but crank angle sensor was a little tired. New one hasn't arrived yet to know if it will sort it. I reckon that's it but cause the problem happens when the car is hot, and it got much worse after I pulled it out and cleaned it off and messed with it.

When they get old they are fussy. Tired parts that aren't quite failing yet collude to cause issues.

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
The other car was not the crank angle sensor. I changed that and it ran a bit better, but the stalling problem was not solved.

It started off stalling every time the car went over a speed bump when it was really hot. Then lately it stalled every time you took your foot off the gas, hot or cold. First thing I drive up is a hill here where I test drive, and there is a bend on it. Kept stopping there every time, so I thought must be something wrong with fuel pressure.

I pulled the tank out and cleaned the sieve and the filter, which were awful. But it never fixed it.

So just now I pulled the throttle body off and opened it up. Sure enough, there were beads of moisture in there. So I cleaned it out with some electrical contact cleaner, bit of lube on the gears.

Problem solved.

The problem was every time the motor was dropping back to idle, nothing about going up a hill. Must have been some engine washing going down.