Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Throttle body p0121 Q

Chuckmeister

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 383 Harrop enhanced
Hey guys, My car keeps throwing an error code, P0121.

This is the code definition..
Code P0121 Definition
Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) “A” Circuit Range Performance Problem

What Does P0121 Mean?
Your TPS “A” Circuit has an expected output voltage range, as does your TPS “B” Circuit (if so equipped). When code P0121 occurs, it means that your Engine Control Module (ECM) recognized that your throttle position “A” circuit’s expected output voltage has either gone above or below the sensor’s expected range.

Before I go on I also have a picture..

uUDZJJoQ37ESTN5_zqAZWdHWkFwQj3PL0kKqKNc5PA1yhGOhknkRZ6AOj4ZlOFMIT-pkAItt865BMqUuC1QD0l6TOnKQbdMqi5tqvLg2oggKHl2foNtd-YNDq3MeODycoDYMzZ9pDg=w2400

So 2 part question..

1st... You'll notice that the hole has been drilled out. Its really quite a bit bigger from other throttle body pics I have been looking at. I'm not sure though, he may have just counter sunk the original a little.

2nd. While the front looks clean, I put my finger on the other side and its dripping with dirty oil. I couldn't tell you how much oil is going through, other than its thick and wet.

My question really is, will either or both problems likely throw the above code.

Thanks.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
I would say yes. Looks like a dumb thing to do.

mechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
No. This DTC indicates an electrical fault.

Graph the TPS output voltage with a multimeter, scope or scan tool if you have one. The voltage graph should be smooth and linear as it sweeps through from idle to full throttle, or approx 0.8V to 4.5V.

Have you or anyone taken anything off the throttle body recently or did this just start randomly?

Chuckmeister

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 383 Harrop enhanced
I had my car cammed, lifters etc and also put in a new converter...Its been a few months so I cant really pinpoint when it started because I got the car back with a bad tune so there were a few things happening at once. But was basically when I got the car back from the build.
I believe they drilled the TB because they were struggling with fuel air in the tune.

Basically since the engine build and torque converter I have new...

Wheel speed sensors.
TPS sensor
ABS module
Heavy duty transmission built
edit - Different ECU and had my tune flashed in

so with everything rebuilt or replaced it spent a week up at the sparky's. They couldn't find any reason for the code being thrown. They checked every wire, connection etc and basically did what the mechanic did and shrugged their shoulders. Didn't charge me either thankfully.

I went to the mechanic yesterday thinking that it may be getting false misfire readings, so he maxed the misfire table. Nothing.

I have it booked in next week for a new TB and also putting in a catch can but was curious if this drilled out TB and/or the amount of excess oil could have been the cause the whole time. I'm running out of idea's (and things to replace :p )

mechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
Take off the TPS carefully and see if the plastic bush is still on the end of the throttle shaft or inside the TPS.
If not, that may be your problem