Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

THROTTLE BODY Upgrade

P

PhatVN

Re

Hey all
First Post ;)
I got a stock 89 VN executive, im lookin to get a v8 throttle body
Is there any other things need if im to install one?
can one of you describe exactly what it does,
perhaps if theres problems or something aswell..
thnx guys

p.s. Loving the website

Chris69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive Commodore 3.8 Buick V6
Ive removed the bellhousing on my 92 VP 3.8 (Buick). Huge difference. I swapped out the TB to a 5ltr one (few mil difference) but made no noticeable difference, so went back to normal throttle body and gave the 5ltr one back to friend. Car is dead stock other than that, so maybe worth doing the TB if you have exhaust or anything else.

In my opinion the bellhousing removal is a brilliant gain. It was something they put in on purpose to restrict airflow, and to stop families spinning da wheelz in the family car. i now light up the right tyre around roundabouts...daily! :p So yes 5ltr throttle body is an easy enough change, but i certainly didnt notice any difference to a dead stock engine/car.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Ive removed the bellhousing on my 92 VP 3.8 (Buick). Huge difference. I swapped out the TB to a 5ltr one (few mil difference) but made no noticeable difference, so went back to normal throttle body and gave the 5ltr one back to friend. Car is dead stock other than that, so maybe worth doing the TB if you have exhaust or anything else.

In my opinion the bellhousing removal is a brilliant gain. It was something they put in on purpose to restrict airflow, and to stop families spinning da wheelz in the family car. i now light up the right tyre around roundabouts...daily! :p So yes 5ltr throttle body is an easy enough change, but i certainly didnt notice any difference to a dead stock engine/car.

No offence mate , but if you dug any deeper you'd reach the plains of the Atacama in South America .

Chris69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive Commodore 3.8 Buick V6
No offence mate , but if you dug any deeper you'd reach the plains of the Atacama in South America .
Rofl . My bad I was searching for stuff and saw the post. Didn't realise it was over 10 years old
I'll crawl back under my rock now lol

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Ive removed the bellhousing on my 92 VP 3.8 (Buick).

It was something they put in on purpose to restrict airflow, and to stop families spinning da wheelz in the family car. i now light up the right tyre around roundabouts...daily! :p So yes 5ltr throttle body is an easy enough change, but i certainly didnt notice any difference to a dead stock engine/car.

That's the bellmouth restrictor. I believe it was actually added to improve mixture distribution between cylinders. The series 2 VN V6 had a revised camshaft for better 'driveability' in wet conditions etc.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX commodore
Hi guys just wondering what V8 Throttle bodies would fit on my 1994 VR S1 3.8L V6 its a non eco-tech engine and I have heard that they fix right on is this true, which models, 5.0L? Gen3? I have seen some of these cheap and would love to get any power gain possible, I have just removed the bellmouth and noticed a big change, more so then the change from airbox to pod. The removal of the bellmouth is an easy to do, easy to un-do mod that gives you a noticeable power gain off the mark, if you would like a step-by-step guide just ask. But please if you know anything about the V8 throttle body and if its a easy step up or not let me know ASAP, cause I don't have much time to snap up the bargain
Hi you can use the 65 mm 5.0 litre throttle body. Identical to the VP 60 mm and VR. ecotec is different tho. 5.0 and 3.8 is identical from outside. Easy as and you can feel the difference. Feels crisp and with cold air induction, you'll love it.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX commodore
That's the bellmouth restrictor. I believe it was actually added to improve mixture distribution between cylinders. The series 2 VN V6 had a revised camshaft for better 'driveability' in wet conditions etc.
Hi I had a VP and I put a 5.0 TB , de baffled the manifold and an eBay resistor in the iat sensor. Home made cold air induction. As in I wrapped the plastic intake with 10mm foam, then aluminum foil tape. Fitted a 100 mm pvc pipe from air box. Down to the lowest part of plastic grille. Fully loaded with tools and over 300k on the engine I dragged of a standard VN in good Nick and lower km. Mine was a wagon. I had a lot more weight. Cheers.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX commodore
TBs

I can't see how a larger TB can increase power so long as the manifold pressure/vacuum is zero when engine is at full rpm on a stock setup. If there was a vacuum with engine at full speed only then would the enlarged TB benefit the engine power wise .........

Even then it has to be determined whether is the air filter, ducting, airbox or other which is contributing to the performance loss :D
In regards to the bigger throttle body on VN to VR. Yes. On a standard VP with the baffle in the manifold removed it made it a lot more jumpy. I put a resistor later in the iat sensor. Again a difference you can definitely feel. The baffle first felt better. But I scored a 65 mm TB and put it on . I thought it was in my head so I removed it. Took it for a drive. I only drove up the street and turned around. Put the v8 TB back on. Then I was happy. Felt crisp, nice punch. Don't forget the ECU relearns to a certain degree. Cheers. I recommend it.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX commodore
hmmmm

Well does anybody have a pic of a VN to VR 5.0L throttle body, nice and close and if possible the side that bolts on, to see if it will match up thanks :)
Hi I scored a 65 mm throttle body and fitted on my VP. Get one off a 5.0 litre! All the same bolt on item! When you remove the 60 mm standard one. Remove the plastic baffle in the manifold and then bolt the v8 one one! You won't regret it. Cheers