Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

THROTTLE BODY Upgrade

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX commodore
Hi I had a VP and I put a 5.0 TB , de baffled the manifold and an eBay resistor in the iat sensor. Home made cold air induction. As in I wrapped the plastic intake with 10mm foam, then aluminum foil tape. Fitted a 100 mm pvc pipe from air box. Down to the lowest part of plastic grille. Fully loaded with tools and over 300k on the engine I dragged of a standard VN in good Nick and lower km. Mine was a wagon. I had a lot more weight. Cheers.
The bellmouth was put on by holden because people complaining about VN being to jumpy. That s why. I removed it and instantly more responsive! Even before the 65mm TB!

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX commodore
In regards to the bigger throttle body on VN to VR. Yes. On a standard VP with the baffle in the manifold removed it made it a lot more jumpy. I put a resistor later in the iat sensor. Again a difference you can definitely feel. The baffle first felt better. But I scored a 65 mm TB and put it on . I thought it was in my head so I removed it. Took it for a drive. I only drove up the street and turned around. Put the v8 TB back on. Then I was happy. Felt crisp, nice punch. Don't forget the ECU relearns to a certain degree. Cheers. I recommend it.
You do one at a time! That s how you can tell the difference

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Did you just reply to your own quote? :rolleyes:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
In regards to the bigger throttle body on VN to VR. Yes. On a standard VP with the baffle in the manifold removed it made it a lot more jumpy. I put a resistor later in the iat sensor. Again a difference you can definitely feel. The baffle first felt better. But I scored a 65 mm TB and put it on . I thought it was in my head so I removed it. Took it for a drive. I only drove up the street and turned around. Put the v8 TB back on. Then I was happy. Felt crisp, nice punch. Don't forget the ECU relearns to a certain degree. Cheers. I recommend it.

I was just thinking again about the bellmouth removal. I asked about it over two years ago and was told it won't do much at all by removing it, basically a "Muppet Mod. The stock set up is slightly restrictive on mine, even with the V8 TB a dyno run told me that. I'm yet to mess with the BM as I'm convinced that it needs to remain on a NA set up VR Buick. I love a few opinions on whether I should remove it or leave it on place.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
I was just thinking again about the bellmouth removal. I asked about it over two years ago and was told it won't do much at all by removing it, basically a "Muppet Mod. The stock set up is slightly restrictive on mine, even with the V8 TB a dyno run told me that. I'm yet to mess with the BM as I'm convinced that it needs to remain on a NA set up VR Buick. I love a few opinions on whether I should remove it or leave it on place.
Plenty of people remove it with no ill effect mate, try it and see

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Plenty of people remove it with no ill effect mate, try it and see
Mani is coming off in a week or so, so yeah might tell him to leave it out. It could be the cause of the slight restriction on the intake side.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX commodore
Each to his own. It made my VP feel jumper! Like the push in the seat feeling was more!

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX commodore
You do one at a time! That s how you can tell the difference
That s what I did. One at a time as my budget wasn't high. First was bellmouth, then iat resistor, then scored 65 mm TB from my brother to try and it all worked! Little bit by bit!

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Each to his own. It made my VP feel jumper! Like the push in the seat feeling was more!
My ute doesn't set you back in the seat, even at WOT and I have 124rwkw, where stock is about 92-94kw. I even have 3200 stall convertor, 3.45s and could probably still be beat by a late model Hyundai in a 50m drag.

Last edited:

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
My ute doesn't set you back in the seat, even at WOT and I have 124rwkw, where stock is about 92-94kw. I even have 3200 stall convertor, 3.45s and could probably still be beat by a late model Hyundai in a 50m drag.
Old mate keeps replying to his own quotes :oops: