Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Throttle body

bobza

Reaction score
hey guys,

i cleaned my throttle body out today, after purchasing a gregories manual. i must say could definately feel a difference. also the gregories manuals are bloody awesome and helpful.
also does anyone know how much you would approximately pay to get it bored out and how mucha pre bored one is. for ecotech3.8L

cheers
bobz

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 TT/'13 VF Senator/'11 WM CapriceV/Hayabusa
ecotech has a 64mm throttle body, ive done the calculations on the throttle body intake velocity and found that its already way too big, and thats based on 4psi of boost going through it! putting an even bigger one on would be a waste of time.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
bigger throttle body probably wouldn't show much improvement untill you got your heads done and bigger cam etc, maybe tidyup the one you got etc, knife edge the butterly, thindown the throttle shaft, if there is a lip from the casting where it has been bored, file & polish smooth etc i don't think the 5.0 V8 throttle bodies fits on the ecotec, they do on the buick v6.

nado69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2
yeah i finally come into some funds myself ... i know its only like 30 - 40 bucks... gunna purchase 'gregories manual' for my VS, and get a better understading of everything... and also cleaning out my throttle body is 1st on the list

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Like most worked / modified engines the principles of gaining power is pretty simple, get heaps of a/f in, burn it fully, and get it out just as fast, a slight amount of back pressure being a good thing on normally aspirated engines.

Making the engine swallow more fuel will do squat unless the cam gives it the time to burn and allowing larger valves to open further and stay open longer, IE cam overlap, another subject.

Extractors are technically not really giving you more HP but regaining lost HP allready there due to poor stock header design, those in the know fit headers to suit the package used, and while basic, longer collector design will give a higher RPM HP band while short collectors do the opposite, making the true art of engine performance more than the basics of bigger carby, modified cam, head work, and off the shelf extractors.

You may waste thousands and have a lousy exhaust system with restrictive mufflers, all has to be changed to be genuine in the search for added HP.

So increasing the t/b dia will do little, the entire package needs consideration, and the most obvious, more mods costs more $$$, thus more $$ = more power / speed.

blaze

ridin dirty
Reaction score
Members Ride
SILVER BULLET
i cleaned mine today with sum good tb cleaner n put her back together and 4 sum reason she doesnt idle to well stalls it really easy.. dunno what i done wrong .. also bought a 69mm tb off ebay havent received it yet