Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Throttle cable plastic threads snapped, is this safe?

mififiwe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY
I had a lot of loose movement in my accel pedal so I tried tightening the throttle cable after 2 or 3 attempts to tighten it correctly the plastic threads on the left nut snapped, I ended up pulling both nuts through the metal plate thing(see pic) which actually fixed my issue with the loose pedal but now I've got no idea how safe this is?
Also, don't judge me I've never done anything mechanically in my life up until now.

Attachments

• crp.jpg
    crp.jpg
    376.4 KB · Views: 251

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
That way is not safe IMO. When mine stripped I used some Q-Bond on the threads and nuts to lock the nuts in place. I eventually replaced the cable with a SH one of a VP wreck. Plenty of VY's if you live in a capital city. Shouldn't be too hard to find a good cond replacement.

mififiwe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY
What things can go wrong if I drive it like this? I took it for a 2 min spin and nothing happened but I honestly don't know what to look for.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Looking at the way it is it could slip off, it may not. The way it is you are relying on the throttle spring to hold it in place. To me that is not safe. Gluing the nuts in place on either side of the bracket would be the best option until you grab a new cable. Your bus man, but if something did go wrong and you cause an accident over a $20 cable, sure as hope it's not me who gets hit. Like I said you decide.

Last edited: