Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Throttle position sensor 2010 SIDI 3.0 showing out of spec in engineering mode.

Shambo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series III CV8 & VE 3.0 Omega
Hi guys,

Does anyone know how to test the tps on a 3.0 SIDI. (VE Omega)

I go into engineering mode and test the tps and it starts at 15%. With the pedal to the floor it only reads 64%. Either the tps or the pedal has a problem.

What pins would you test and what is the voltage at 100% on the tps? I can test with a ohm meter to try to rule it out.

It through an engine check light but I don't have an OBDII reader to check the code but I would guess this is it.

I'm going to clean the throttle body but would like to test the tps.

Any help appreciated.

Capsule

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Omega
I doubt a defective TPS sensor would throw a code, I mean not in your case. The ECU would just think you never floor it. Having more than 0 as a minimum position is not an issue either, mine does that too with no drama.

It would throw a code if the accelerator pedal sensor was not inline with the TPS tho.

I would check the code no matter what, you might have another issue.

Last edited:

Shambo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series III CV8 & VE 3.0 Omega
Yeah right. I need buy an obi-wan-kanobi reader I think.
Everything you look at on them is worth $200 so i cant really play guessing games.
I thought the tps issue might cause the fault. I cleared it by pulling the battery and it hasn't returned yet.
It's the wife's car so it's a bit hard to guage the problem myself at the moment.
She said it seems to not be as powerful as it was....
The tps not going to 100% would probably explain that. I have been thinking of buying a brand new throttle body and see what happens...

Capsule

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Omega
For simple code reading / values monitoring, you can get a cheap Wifi Dongle and use some app on your phone.

The TPS not going to 100% could simply be related to the accelerator pedal position sensor not sending the correct value or blocked in some way.
That's why you need an ODB reader in order to compare the pedal position with the TPS and see if the issue is related to the pedal or the throttle body itself. A new pedal would be cheaper than a new TB ;-)

TONNER_JEZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 UTE
I have this coming up also and have done a scan with these codes being generated...
P0121,P2176 . Too do with the sensor short or malfunction,
I am trying to find out which wires are which to test the sensor,there are 6 wires , green white purple across the top & brown yellow brown/black stripe across the bottom,how do I check which wires are which to test sensor

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
not all tps data shows "actual" tps percentage the LS series will show only up to 88% which is full throttle unless u log actual tps position, and because your no moving in gear it might be limited to 64% for free reving

sss1600

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V6 auto (crazy i know! Haa)
I get 15% with the pedal released and 36% with throttle fully depressed currently but thats when im parked. I checked it whilst actually driving and it goes down to 5% whilst braking and 100% when accelerating fully so might just be related to having the engine off and parked...

Last edited: