Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Throttle position sensor (I think) is stuffed

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
Ok well I posted on here a little while back mentioning a problem with the idle speed of my car and it was basically a given that it was the cruise control cable sticking.

Well anyway, turns out tha'ts not the case. It looks more likely to be the throttle position sensor as when I unplug it with the engine running while it's idling to high, it goes back to the normal speed.

So I'm guessing the sensor has become clogged or something or is starting to collapse.

Are these expensive to replace or anything? The car's still under warranty but the trip to the dealer is a $15 trip (petrol) and I really couldn't be bothered waiting for them to replace one little component when it's something I can easily do myself.

I have a series 2 VX V6.

don0xer

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Calais 3.8L Supercharged
Does your idle jump around when it first starts up in the morning? mine jumps around from 500~ to 1500~ without aid from my right foot. and if i help it idle at around 1200 itll go up to around 1800, then drop back down to 500 again as if it wants to stall. After a few mins of driving its fine for me. Id like to see the end result of a replaced TPS :)

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
don0xer - my idle is generally alright sometimes, it doesn't go below 800. I can usually make it stick up high by accelerating hard and forcing the car to rev a bit higher before it changes gears. I've managed to make it stick over 2,500rpm but generally it'll go to about 1,500 or so. Sometimes switching off the engine will make it reset, but not always which suggests to me a physical problem in the electric system rather than a problem with the computer itself.

Slayr - I am going to find out the cost of one myself, I'm going to call Hunter Holden and see if they will give me a replacement that I can put in myself as it's still under warranty but knowing Holden they'll want me to bring it back in. SIGH

I'll let you know if I can find out the cost, although I'll see if I can make them give it to me for free as long as I bring in the dodgey one I suppose.

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
A new TPS from Holden was quoted to me as being $108.50

What an absolute joke. Guess I'm going to have to make the warranty trip.

Reaction score
Members Ride
falcon
mine was 25 bux from motor traders v6
and 75 for s/c v6
takes 10 mins to change

Slick6

Reaction score
Website
www.perthfilms.com
Members Ride
Phantom SSV
yeah,, I had one done in my old VR.. cant remember exact price but it was around $150...

I drove with it for a little while till it eventually gave up.. good thing about it was it was at a set of lights next to a Holden dealer...

hinterland

commyvt
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Members Ride
vt sed turbo
if none of the above make any difference when you insall new one pull the plug of the temp sender the 2 wire one then start it up and see what happens as they can do some discusting things when rooted.but your problem sounds like the idle solunoid other side of the tps it might be carboned up and bleading to much air in and if thats the case your butterfly also will be carboned up and letting in to much air at idle hence the iraticall ide ,tin of throtle body cleaner might be the answer.

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
Yeah that's the opinion my friendly family mechanic gave to me as well. But as I said, it's back to Hunter the car goes being as it's under warranty and I have to and all that crap...