Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Throttle Response 2006 VE omega V 3.6l auto

VE-V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VE-V 2006
Ok, I have a 2006 VE OMEGA V (Spoiler with no Omega badge model) 4 speed auto, and as we all know the throttle response on VE is rubbish to say the least. It certainly is not my old NA XR6 for example and I knew it wouldn't be but I just could not get over the lag in the throttle! So I managed to fix it for the most part by doing the following:

1) Standard air box with MAF and High Flow K&N type filter
2) Silicone and inter-cooler pipe from MAF to TB in order to replace that huge plastic resonator that the growler system leaves on!
3) Hurricane rear muffler (Diff Back)

After replacing or basically deleting that stupid plastic resonator with 75mm tubing and silicone joins the car now feels much more responsive and kicks down gears easier to give you the pick up you need going up hills overtaking etc etc.

I only say this as I know an OTR is not worth doing on this V6 omega and I also read a lot of people saying that the growler system has done nothing. The main reason for that is the growler leaves the plastic resonator inline and this as far as i am concerned is the main culperet in throttle lag!

This would explain why people prefer or have had better results with the airhammer system as the airhammer replaces the resonator much the same as an OTR does.

I will be fabricating my own "airhammer" as it just looks too easy and I can build one for $80 from ebay! so for something I am not sure about I am not going to fork out for the brand name just yet.

In the very near future I will also be adding the following:
1) Mace 12mm insulators
2) Stealth 3 throttle controller

Oh and if you do have a growler then replace the rest of the pipe from the MAF to the Throttle Body and you will have the full benifit of your very expensive pod intake.
I believe a pod is the only way to go on these 6's. As we all know its just not worth dumping heaps of money into an omega I just like to get it going as well as it can but there will be no chips, underives, full exhausts or any of that done.

What have you guys done and in turn discovered in attempting to get rid of the throttle lag?

Capsule

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Omega
Yeah the OTR alone did a massive difference on mine too

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Running a quality fluid in the Trans also helps.
What's the purpose of the resonator being there in the first place?
Have you got a pic of your new intake pipe? Does the vacuum hose still clip into it?

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
I have the Stealth Controller 2 and feels amazing. I know a lot of people a sceptic about it and say just push harder on the pedal. But the instant feel it gives by a light throttle is awesome and makes it feel how the car should have felt from the factory, and I also dont feel that lag it has without it.
I have only increased the settings once to a higher output (9) and it was wheel spinning everywhere lol so i just leave it on Mode 4 which feels best (The highest is 11)

Last edited:

VE-V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VE-V 2006
Yes im quite keen on the stealth but before that I think im going to give the MACE spacers a go. People cant seem to say enough good things about them and I see no negative reports. On a bit of a budget until the misses gets another job so the spacers seem the best value atm.

VE-V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VE-V 2006
@ VS_Pete...Yep, thats what I did! :) seems to be a lot more common than i thought. I guess anyone with a clue would have figured this out long ago :) Will post up some pics soon. Thanks for the input and how do you find the growler seeing as you have it setup properly.

VE-V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VE-V 2006
I should have the rest of the parts needed soon ie piping and pod filter so I will post pics and results soon.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
@ VS_Pete...Yep, thats what I did! :) seems to be a lot more common than i thought. I guess anyone with a clue would have figured this out long ago :) Will post up some pics soon. Thanks for the input and how do you find the growler seeing as you have it setup properly.
My car is tuned so a plus for starters all the growler did was give me better pickup down low and gets up to say 100k/hr faster.
It seems to be running smoother to me.

PS. I knew that it would only give me better pick up which is great.
But after putting a pod on the VS and not a OTR I didn`t want to clean to much was the go.
I`ve got a spare pod for the VS so I just swap over and clean at my leisure.
Dry pod by the way.

Now the VE I got a new pipe on because the stock one was hard to put on the growler and TB and looked ****.
Plus I got the oil separator on as well.
Didn`t have lag with mine.

Last edited:

johnni

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Commodore
Where do you buy the stealth 3 throttle controller as I'm curious about this ? And roughy how much is it ?