Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Throttle Stuck? Hit a tree...

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
Hi...

Was coming out of a mates place which is on the corner of a T-intersection, chucked it into D (Auto 2011 Series 2 VE SV6) and took off. I noticed it took off pretty excessively so I jumped on the brakes, to which the car kept accelerating. Full brakes wouldn't stop the car, tried to steer but ended up under steering and just slid straight for a tree stump - bang. Right in the middle of the front. Tow driver reckons it'll be a write off :\

I'm pretty positive the throttle wasn't stuck on the mat (I have the carpet ones from holden and then just a rubber one on top). When I hit the stump I looked and the pedal wasn't stuck at all, it was where it should be.

Any advice as to what might've caused this? How come the brakes didn't stop me? Could the computer of failed? Engine was at about 4000-5000rpm (based off sound and out of the corner of my eye) when I hit the tree in first gear but I don't know how fast I was going.

Insurance will love me... 17 year old on his Red P's with a SV6. First question they asked, "was I drifting?"

Attached photos

Cheers guys

*quoted as others need to learn from this*

Any advice as to what might've caused this?

This caused it:
17 year old on his Red P's

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Or, driver hit the gas pedal as well as the brake?

My neighbor did this recently as she pulled into the driveway. Drove through the closed garage door and smashed into the front of her husbands fairly new Nissan 4x4 as well as potentially writing off her own car in the process (drivers door wouldn't open).

Live and learn, LIVE and LEARN!

snortings

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 SV6
go and ask a solicitor what you should and shouldn't say on your statement. Get yourself professional liar to get to wording of your statement correct to save further embarrassment.

Professional liar.......I love that one "boozer".
Sounds and looks very much like 17 year old lack of experience, and driver error BIG TIME.
Oh dear me. Couldn't get the answers. Actually he got the correct ones. Loved how he told us he SLAMMED it onto gear. When your reading this, as you will, and you have sorted out your finances after this, as you will need to do.......Next car join a proper car club, do high speed training and do track days. You will be surprised what very BAD no nothing driver you are at the moment. Good luck.
This caused it:
17 year old on his Red P's

Hi all,

Thought I'd love to let you all know that it was a fault with the throttle. Local Holden dealership took a machine out (pretty sure Tech 2) to the yard and diagnosed and found the throttle position was reading 100% whilst the accelerator pedal was not being depressed. They've passed this info onto the insurers, to which they've concluded me to be not at-fault.

Warmest Regards,
17 year old on his Red P Plates.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Thanks for letting us know that.
Perhaps you might have turned the key off very quickly as soon as you felt that happening?????????
I can well remember many years ago having full throttle on in a race event when the throttle stuck wide open......I hit the clutch and key instantly.
I'm sure now you are aware that ANYTHING can go wrong, next time you will have the experience to obviate the worst.
Good luck with your insurance company.

Zehq

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF2 SV6 Black
Won't lie I was on the side of everyone else but you proved us all wrong.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
As the car definitely wouldn't be road worthy with a sticky throttle will the insurance pay up hence why I said to be careful what you tell them. Hopefully your insurance is nice to you good luck.

Zehq

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF2 SV6 Black
As the car definitely wouldn't be road worthy with a sticky throttle will the insurance pay up hence why I said to be careful what you tell them. Hopefully your insurance is nice to you good luck.
Good advice for anyone dealing with an insurance company or any form of law enforcement.

Can't really see a way for them to wiggle their way out of it though. Claim it's the first time it's happened and with the dealership's investigation and he should be scot-free.

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
Thanks for letting us know that.
Perhaps you might have turned the key off very quickly as soon as you felt that happening?????????
I can well remember many years ago having full throttle on in a race event when the throttle stuck wide open......I hit the clutch and key instantly.
I'm sure now you are aware that ANYTHING can go wrong, next time you will have the experience to obviate the worst.
Good luck with your insurance company.
Yep. Do this ^^. Turn it off, disengage engine.
Had a stuck WOT on my hotrod. Was well into my driving history though.
At least young bloke not too hurt and good learning experience. (Nice of him to tell us the real reason too.)

Last edited: