Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

throttlebody limpmode

Wratha the risen

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx acclaim
Which dashboard light or warning light/code comes on to indicate the throttle body sensor is buggered? Car has stopped, how do I get it into limpmode to get it home?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
V6 or V8?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
What makes you think one of the TB sensors have made you not start? It's unlikely to be one of the above is all. Limp mode is automatic is all and you don't flick a switch and get going again. Unfortunately if it won't go after waiting 30 mins its a tow truck.

Wratha the risen

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx acclaim
What makes you think one of the TB sensors have made you not start? It's unlikely to be one of the above is all. Limp mode is automatic is all and you don't flick a switch and get going again. Unfortunately if it won't go after waiting 30 mins its a tow truck.
Just what a mate said

Wratha the risen

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx acclaim
It’s just what a mate said, it may have run out of fuel n is taking a while for the fuel pump to do it’s thing

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
If it ain't pumping now it ain't gonna start pumping in 10 or 12 or 17 or 30 minutes cause it's taking a break...

Limp mode, it either starts and goes into limp mode or it doesn't start because something is really fucked.

Does it crank over?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
It’s just what a mate said, it may have run out of fuel n is taking a while for the fuel pump to do it’s thing

Well guess you need to refuel and see then. Don't let the pump run for more than 15-20 seconds and not start or you will burn out the pump. That's if it has indeed run out of fuel.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The PCM will only prime the pump for a few seconds and then it won't run again till the engine runs or until you cycle the ignition or you crank the engine long enough that the oil pressure switch closes ;)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
So you're saying that the PCM recognises it doesn't have fuel pressure and shuts the pump off? I was of the belief it would keep trying to pressurise until it did. That's a good safety mechanism. My old bus would keep going if the tank was empty because the rail wouldn't pressurise so the pump would keep running until it stopped due to burn out. Pretty sure the ute pump won't stop if it's out of fuel. I'm fairly sure it kept trying to prime when I ran out of fuel last year.

Last edited: