Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Throw Out Bearing, I Think

vt s

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s s1
Hey guys i think i am really worried i have made a big mistake when replacing the clutch and flywheel for my car.
When i am driving as the revs reach and go above 3000 there an obvoius noise.
It sounds like two things grinding together.
And when i press the clutch in you can still hear it but spinning freely and slowly slow down and go away.
I am guessing it might be the thowout bearing?
When i did replace the clutch i didnt grease it as it was a sealed bearing, is this correct?
Also replaced the spigot bush and wondering is that spose to be lubed aswell?
Just i was reading somewhere it sounded like it should have been...
Any help would be appreciated. Thansk

Last edited:

paulsautoelec

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr ute
you should have replaced the bearing as well when replacing clutch

kart_racer

Races karts
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim 5M
The spigot bearings come greased now, can't see that being the issue.

You say the noise happens when you push the clutch in? However this is when there is most pressure on the throwout (thrust) bearing, so I don't know how that works. I thought these usually came as part of the kit?

Maybe the clutch driven plate is installed around the wrong way and contacting the flywheel when free...

vt s

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s s1
OK sorry poeople i for got mention some things.
The noise happens when im driving and the revs increase the sound gets more noticable.
And when i press the clutch the noise slowly dissapears.
Im just wondering if it could be maybe a tensioner pulley or one of the other ones?
Also to mention when i replaced the clutch the throwout bearing was replaced as the old one was not sealed (i assume as it was smoothered in grease)
And on the point of spigot bush being pre greased how do you mean?
Cos when i got mine from holden it wasnt greased (or appeared to be) and the one i pulled out wasnt which is why i didnt grease it.
I realise now its now throw out bearing i think i was only assuming the worst after i read something somewhere else and just panicked :s
And i know ive got no idea so just try not to hassle me bout a bit lost thats why i bought it up here
Thanks

9C1pack

Reaction score
"Im just wondering if it could be maybe a tensioner pulley or one of the other ones?"
While the engine is cold, slip the tensioner belt off and take it for a short drive (30 secs) using 1st, 2nd. 3rd and 4th and note if the noise has gone..

kart_racer

Races karts
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim 5M
Well if it slowly dies down when you put the clutch in, it is related to the engine.

Although now that I think about it, when you put the clutch in, the flywheel & pressure plate slow down, and since the throwout sits against the pressure plate it will slow down too.

So I'd say you could well have been on the right track to start with! Sorry mate!

9C1pack

Reaction score
If you do not have the required amount of clearance between the throw out bearing and the pressure plate fingers, the throwout bearing will be turning all the time, and will soon wear out. can you see or get yours hands on the throw out fork? you should be able to move/wobble it a bit when the clutch pedal is fully released.

vt s

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s s1
OK thanks guys
9c1 when checking the fork, if it does not wobble does that mean theres problem?
Tbanks

9C1pack

Reaction score
I am not all that familiar with the layout of the manual box in the commodore but in previous holdens and Toyotas that i have replaced clutchs in. The throw out fork hung out the side of the gearbox and then connected to the slave cylinder or mechanical setup and it was there that you could grab it and should be able to rattle/move it a few mill.
You may need to buy/borrow a workshop manual to see the recommended way to check and adjust it.

vt s

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s s1
Yea i know where the fork is as i was the one who done the work but im just asking that what would be all the posibilties i would find after tryin to give it a wiggle.
Eg Few mill movement is good you said but what if it doesnt move or if it moves alot?..
If u dont understand what im asking dw il just have to write back in a few days after ive gone under and i can let you know the result