Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Thrown a piston?

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
if it has thrown a piston it would not start and run, engine gone
I have driven a 186/202 Torana for 2kms after putting a window in the block and picking up the conrod off the road with gudgeon pin and bearing cap bolts still attached. The engine coolant ran into the sump and caused an oil trail most of the way home.:rolleyes:
I still have the rod displayed in my mancave 30 years later. :cool:

william77ize

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6 holden commodore
I have driven a 186/202 Torana for 2kms after putting a window in the block and picking up the conrod off the road with gudgeon pin and bearing cap bolts still attached. The engine coolant ran into the sump and caused an oil trail most of the way home.:rolleyes:
I still have the rod displayed in my mancave 30 years later. :cool:

Don't think it's leaking oil. I'm still running it around town as of late, I'm taking it in Wednesday. Now the shaking has randomly gone away. Dash is displaying check oil and something about power trans

william77ize

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6 holden commodore
If anyone is around Shepparton, and wants to at least take a look feel free to message me directly so I can give you my address

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Your still driving it?
Oh PLEASE. The more you drive it the more damage and more costlier this will become for you.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
You can drive a VE on 3 cylinders. Just not too well. Timing chain stretched, slipped and punched the passenger side pistons into the head, breaking most things they came into contact with. Pretty sure it lifted the head off slightly from memory because there was coolant in the valley under the intake manifold.

It would be interesting to know what codes it threw and if they were timing related.

william77ize

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6 holden commodore
I just hope it's not the piston. Someone said that if it were the car would be shaking harder then mine and a few people have said there would be leaking which hasn't happened. Hopefully it's something a little less costly. I have to drive to get to and from in town.

edit: I drive fairly slow though.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I just hope it's not the piston. Someone said that if it were the car would be shaking harder then mine and a few people have said there would be leaking which hasn't happened. Hopefully it's something a little less costly. I have to drive to get to and from in town.

edit: I drive fairly slow though.
As mentioned by @gossie don't drive it...
Unless you know what the problem is and that driving it wont cause more damage... don't drive it....

At the end of the day, by not knowing and by continuing to drive, you may cause yourself a much higher repair bill than would otherwise be the case. Hope is never a good way to achieve something (otherwise i'd win lotto every week)...

As an example, i know one lady who HAD to get to school to pick up her kids. She ignored the temperature gauge until she cooked the motor just after picking them up but before getting home. Sadly, i knew the car simply needed some water and a new radiator cap. But she killed it by driving until steam started to pour out from the bonnet. Later when checking it, it needed a new head gasket and all that entails... so she junked the car as a result... just because she HAD to pick up the kids... Seems sometimes we just don't help ourselves.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
You can drive a VE on 3 cylinders. Just not too well. Timing chain stretched, slipped and punched the passenger side pistons into the head, breaking most things they came into contact with. Pretty sure it lifted the head off slightly from memory because there was coolant in the valley under the intake manifold.

It would be interesting to know what codes it threw and if they were timing related.
A broken timing chain will not push the piston into the head. The conrods and crankshaft control piston height not the cam shaft.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
A broken timing chain will not push the piston into the head. The conrods and crankshaft control piston height not the cam shaft.
Lol...want to try again with that logic?

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute
I would se
So I took my holden vz into the mechanic today because it was heavily shaking
When any Holden donk suddenly feels wobbly the first thing I always check is the harmonic balancer. In your shoes, I'd get on the phone asking local mobile mechanics if they could come and check it for me and, if it is that usual suspect, would they be able to replace it?

If it isn't the balancer, any mechanic should be able to give a more accurate diagnosis than that first one did. It may cost $50 or $100 to find out what the problem is but then you'd have a better idea of repair options and costs. Driving it till it goes bang is your cheapest choice, as long as you are ok with walking from then.