Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Thrust bearing?

Mattyrulz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore
Hey Guys
I have a VS Commodore with a T5 manual gear box and when i take my foot off of the clutch i can hear a faily loud crunching kind of sound coming from the gearbox or qround there. My old man reckons its the thrust bearing but im just getting a second opinion.
So just to clear it up When i press the clutch in there is no sound and when i drive it isnt really there but when its in neutral its deffinaty there.
Thanks in advance

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
If you have the sound in neutral with your foot off the clutch pedal it cannot be the thrust bearing as the thrust bearing will not be in contact with the release fingers of the clutch pressure plate. Once you start to depress the clutch the thrust bearing moves forward and makes contact with the pressure plate - only then will it be spinning and only then will it make a noise if buggered.
To me it sounds more likely your input shaft bearings are bad because in neutral with your foot off the clutch the only thing spinning is the gearbox input shaft.....which is probably not what you want to hear. Hopefully I'm wrong.

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
I thought the thrust bearing constantly runs on the T5 as theres no internal spring back on it. Bassically its free on the shaft and the folk pushes it forward. The folk constantly has pressure pulling it forward as the clutch pedal has that spring on the top of it that constantly pulls the pedal towards the floor, thus back down the chain resulting in the thrust bearing being held lightly on..

Mattyrulz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore
So it might be the thrust bearing? I hope it is haha are there any guides on how to replace a thrust bearing? Is it do able myself?

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
I thought the thrust bearing constantly runs on the T5 as theres no internal spring back on it. Bassically its free on the shaft and the folk pushes it forward. The folk constantly has pressure pulling it forward as the clutch pedal has that spring on the top of it that constantly pulls the pedal towards the floor, thus back down the chain resulting in the thrust bearing being held lightly on..

Correct, there is no free travel on the T5's

aZk.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6

I'm no expert but if the thrust bearing was constantly running you would experience clutch slip plus accelerated thrust bearing wear. The usual setup is that the thrust bearing is adjusted so that it does not spin when the clutch pedal is returned - which is why I suggest that the problem is input shaft on the gearbox. I'm basing this on what the workshop manual and my experience says....but its only a suggestion.
Good Luck

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
I'm no expert but if the thrust bearing was constantly running you would experience clutch slip plus accelerated thrust bearing wear. The usual setup is that the thrust bearing is adjusted so that it does not spin when the clutch pedal is returned - which is why I suggest that the problem is input shaft on the gearbox. I'm basing this on what the workshop manual and my experience says....but its only a suggestion.
Good Luck

No, the thrust bearing sits on the face of the pressure plate, just there is not enough pressure to disengage the friction disc.. As i said, there is no free travel with the T5...

aZk.

Mattyrulz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore
If i took it to a mechanics would they know which it was?
Or are there any steps i can do to find out?

DavoVP

Reaction score
Ok, i Thaught the same thing with my vp, exactly as you say with one exception i had a high pitch budgee noise that turned into a deep rumbling.

Its either a inputshaft bearing or a sprigot bearing, YAY !!!

ill tell ya when i get my box out and have a look. got a new one from the wreckers today, stung me 350 !