Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Thud under hard braking with Brembos

SV6GUY

Reaction score
Members Ride
MANUAL VE SV6 S2
Hi Guys,
I have 4 pot brembos all round and I've noticed when I brake hard, especially downhill, I hear a thud noise from the rear of the vehicle. Any ideas on what it could be?

cheers.

MuckUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Cross 8
Have you checked that everything is done up properly and no worn bushes?

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
not the person in the back hitting their head on the front seat because of the better brakes!

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
It is possible your rear Brembos were installed without doing the necessary conversion from CTS-V to our car, therefore small piston presses pad in wrong order at the farthest edge before big piston clamps down, sending shock... that'd do it!
Did you invert the crossover pipe and swap left calliper to right or simply install them out of the box (upside down) perhaps?

SV6GUY

Reaction score
Members Ride
MANUAL VE SV6 S2
It is possible your rear Brembos were installed without doing the necessary conversion from CTS-V to our car, therefore small piston presses pad in wrong order at the farthest edge before big piston clamps down, sending shock... that'd do it!
Did you invert the crossover pipe and swap left calliper to right or simply install them out of the box (upside down) perhaps?

I swapped the crossover, used the correct 355mm rotor, did not cut the pad, used GM bolts suited for brembos and even used HSV rear dust shields :)

not the person in the back hitting their head on the front seat because of the better brakes!

Will not rule that out, it pulls up so well it's addictive.

Have you checked that everything is done up properly and no worn bushes?

Everything should be sweet, the car is on 70,000kms and all of my front bushes have been changed to polyurethane. Any particular failure points in the rear?

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Checked to see all the bolts as still in?

3onTree

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Redline Sportswagon
Hi Guys,
I have 4 pot brembos all round and I've noticed when I brake hard, especially downhill, I hear a thud noise from the rear of the vehicle. Any ideas on what it could be?

cheers.

Mate given load path from brake to driveline, suspension, body - it could be anything. Up on the hoist and a good look at obvious stuff first. Check pins , clips, bolts then suspension bushes, shocks - heavy braking lifts the rear make sure shocks are tight. I would even check to make sure spare tyre is secured with that spindle bolt.

SV6GUY

Reaction score
Members Ride
MANUAL VE SV6 S2
Mate given load path from brake to driveline, suspension, body - it could be anything. Up on the hoist and a good look at obvious stuff first. Check pins , clips, bolts then suspension bushes, shocks - heavy braking lifts the rear make sure shocks are tight. I would even check to make sure spare tyre is secured with that spindle bolt.

I'll check the rear cradle on a hoist, sounds like my best bet. cheers!