Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Thud when applying the brakes...???

ruredi

AVGJO3
Reaction score
Members Ride
'12 SS V Z Series Manaul Sportwagon
Hi guys and gals whats goin on...

I have a VS Series II 3.8L Auto as most of you allready know...well the common members anyway. done 178,000 kms. I have this very weird problem. When I first turn on the car and move out of the driveway or whatever...when I apply the brakes...I get this thud that seems to come from the front...I think its left front but it could be in the center. At the start I originally thought it was only when I first start it in the morning or when ive left it for a while but it happens when I turn it off and leave it for a minute or whatever...even leaving it running. it only happens at low speed manevours like reversing out of the drive way or moving forward. It happens at the lightest touch of the brake pedal its not like I have to press it right in...just touch it and it will do it. I know that I can just jack it up and have a look and I will probably find it but I just finished work and im in bed and I'm going to do it tomo...I'm just bored and want to get an idea of what it is so maybe it will help me out a little tomo. The stopping power of the car does seem to be a litte on the low side aswell but its nothing major. I have no noises or thuds when braking during normal driving. Its just parking and stuff like that...???

Cheers, Joe :thumbsup:

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Try selecting D and then R whilst the car is stationary (engine running) with the brakes firmly applied and get someone to squat down near where the noise comes from...maybe that way you could locate the thump - but really it could be one of a dozen or so rubber connections/bushes or the brake caliper/pads. As a long shot you could be very low on brake fluid to the point where there is some air in the lines and when you touch the pedal the power booster instantly compresses the air and you then get a thump....like the water hammer effect you can get in taps. (I said it was a long shot!)
Good Luck.

ruredi

AVGJO3
Reaction score
Members Ride
hako said:
Try selecting D and then R whilst the car is stationary (engine running) with the brakes firmly applied and get someone to squat down near where the noise comes from...maybe that way you could locate the thump - but really it could be one of a dozen or so rubber connections/bushes or the brake caliper/pads. As a long shot you could be very low on brake fluid to the point where there is some air in the lines and when you touch the pedal the power booster instantly compresses the air and you then get a thump....like the water hammer effect you can get in taps. (I said it was a long shot!)
Good Luck.

nah nah...its not when im stationary. when im rolling and then I put on the brakes...whether im rolling foward or backward still does it.

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
check the caliper mounting bolts, all suspension bushes, the rotors hmmm what else.

if its thumping i'd say something is loose.

Macca177

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman V8
Im going to go with buggard bush's :)

ruredi

AVGJO3
Reaction score
Members Ride
cool thanks guys...will jack it up and have a peek...

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
mine did this too, caliper bolts were loose. have a geez, it's better than everything going wrong while moving

ruredi

AVGJO3
Reaction score
Members Ride
TheForgotten said:
mine did this too, caliper bolts were loose. have a geez, it's better than everything going wrong while moving

yeah my dad said it sounds like that to. worked all day didnt get a chance and working all day tomo so it will have to be sunday...

94vrexec

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr executive
ive seen this problem before. its probably just loose bolts holding the caliper on. just take off the wheel and tighten.