Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Thumbs Up for P Platers

Struma

Urge Surfer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Executive Ute
We are used to seeing a lot of P plater bashing - and sometimes some of the statistics used may bear a semblance of truth, but then I can (just barely) remember what it was to be young with a fresh license and a car of my own, and think that a lot of those issues are a factor of youth, testosterone and illusions of immortality - if "reckless behaviour" wasn't happening in cars it would be on whatever other form of personal freedom came to hand (trains, horses or whatever...)

Anyway, what I wanted to say is that even though I am in an older demographic (30 - 40) I still like to drive tight and (legally-ish) get the most out of the conditions I have access to, e.g. nice big sweeping corners, roundabouts et cetera and I have a tendency to get a bit annoyed at the number of cretins who can't seem to see beyond the end of their bonnets, look in their mirrors or remember where their indicator switch is.

I spend a lot of time in Brisbane traffic, which anyone who knows it will sympathise with me, and get to see a lot of different driving styles.

I think that it is worth pointing out that I have recently noticed how well so many P platers drive.

They obviously still have their lessons fresh in their minds and seem (on average) more aware and focused on the task at hand.
As well as this I think that a lot of these guys/girls are still enjoying the thrill of driving on the open road and are conscious of doing it well and in a smooth and controlled manner.

For example when I am behind a P plater who is turning onto a side road he/she seldom finds a need to virtually come to a stop - instead they seem to (miraculously) be able to pick the right line and drive cleanly through it.

The same people seem to able to defy "conventional" practice and actually stay in one lane when turning in an intersection, enabling more than one car to go around a corner at the same time.

Other incredible feats include using indicators to change lanes and merge, often without having to slow down to 20 in a 60 zone to do so!

Maybe this is a crass generalisation of the sort more appropriate to a segment on ACA or TT but recently I seem to enjoy my driving experiences more when I am behind a P plater working my way through tortuous traffic than when behind (or next to) the majority of other slack and brain dead distracted mental cripples who should be having their licenses reviewed (and shredded) on a yearly basis.

Good work, and try and keep these attitudes fresh in your mind for the next 30+ years.

Cheers.

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Good on you for giving the good drivers a shout out.

Ive seen and said it many times, that the last batch or two of P platers ahve been quite good, while I still see the late twentis and early thirties people belting around like formula one drivers.

Then again the batch I was in wasn't all that bloody great either, maybe the newer systems are starting to work, whatever it takes to lower the amount of deaths on our roads.

arrow224

Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
Wooo! Go us. As with most things, the small minority who act in a different way account for the majority of coverage about that segment. I find that out of the ~30 people I know on P plates, 1 or 2 are of the 'type' that is conveyed in the media. The rest are as 'good' a driver as a P plater can be.

ucrvme

[UCRVME]
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 Holden VY Berlina
See thats the problem good drivers are just that good drivers then the Fu#kH@ads spoil it with their ****

nemesis_adrasteia

better to reign in hell
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore HSV(without all the gay ****)
im a P plater i try to be a good driver mostly cos a cant afford to crash LOL but yeah driving properly saves you money driving like a ******** is only gunna cost you money and you could end up dead or worse

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
I'm an ex P plater, been off em for like 2 months now :D never been pulled over by cops (drive a VS commy). Haven't had a fine since had my licence. Don't speed (use cruise control) can't afford to waste my fuel cuz I'm a uni student (studying accounting, so every cent has to get me the most possible XD). I haven't seen many P platers doing the wrong thing, you get the few idiots on the road, but majority of them aren't P platers.

Atleast P Platers know the road rules!! I seriously hate roundabouts! you know how many non-p-platers don't know how to take a roundabout?! I see so many people that don't indicate (whichever direction their going), change lanes in the middle of the darn thing (or try to) in peak hour traffic! nobody indicates to merge! ehh that's the end of my rant.

2 Thumbs Up for P-Platers

System

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ commodore exec
been off my P's for 3 years now, and i've NEVER been fined, or had a car towed away, or even caught speeding, i have to do the right thing on the road- it saves on fuel, the car runs better, and my job depends on it :thumbsup:

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
I spend a lot of time in Brisbane traffic, which anyone who knows it will sympathise with me, and get to see a lot of different driving styles.

Hahaha I was a courier up in the river city for a while mate, I know all about it :p Highest damn concentration of phsychopathic drivers I've ever seen :p (and I've lived in all the big cities).

Indicating seems to be an optional courtesy, and red lights are a sign to speed up and take your chances. I had my last car written off on the Captain Cook Bridge by some prick who forgot where the brake pedal was :p

Stressball

Rolling on 4 again :D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Triton
I'm on my red P's up here in Brisbane now, and I agree, it shits me to no end the number of open licence holders I see where I can criticise their driving and point out numerous illegal things they do in the space of ~2 minutes following them. If these people had to retake their driving tests, they'd be off the road so fast there would be more p-platers than open licence holders.

As for driving to save money on fuel, I tend to drive slower when there's nobody else around, coz that's usually at night. There's nothing better than just cruising, window down, A/C and music off, hearing nothing but the wind :D Best feeling ever. Cept maybe bungy jumping. That was pretty sweet too :)

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
I'll second that Stressball :D I love rolling around slowly late at night when there's nobody to tailgate me. Cruising around the ICB at 50kph on a warm summer night with the windows down = WIN.