Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

thumping when i change track

xstatic

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt gen 3 berlina
whenever i change the track or the radio station on my head unit my subs kicks :cry: is the best way to put it. the amp doesn't over heat or anything like that, the only thing i thought of that could have caused it is that i borrowed my car to someone and when i popped the boot the sub had moved and the wires been wriped out and they where crossed.

any comments of helpful advice i will be thankful for

cheers

scott

2_SeeK_U

Wheels on the bus go round and round...
Reaction score
Website
www.users.bigpond.net.au
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore II
I can't help in why they do this but when l installed my subs myself they used to do the same when l turned them on (l used to have to turn them on with a switch) or changed CD tracks. Now that l've had them profesh installed, no problems, except sometimes when changing traks, but that may be because of the music is still playing when l swtich. I've been told that it might have something to do with the power the amp is getting?
(never run your subs of the boot light power, just a friendly warning)

P

peeete

2_SeeK_U said:
(never run your subs of the boot light power, just a friendly warning)

thats crazy. Use at least 8 gauge wire otherwise your amp's sound will be horrid! No power to the amp = no power out of the amp!

2_SeeK_U

Wheels on the bus go round and round...
Reaction score
Website
www.users.bigpond.net.au
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore II
peeete said:
thats crazy. Use at least 8 gauge wire otherwise your amp's sound will be horrid! No power to the amp = no power out of the amp!
I know now :D

DJ Majah

Electro doof doof styleé
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII cruiser
The most LIKELY explanation to your sub kicking when you change tracks would be the volume levels. When you turn a head unit (or device connected to it acting as a preamp) on, the output level obviously changes - from nothing to something. This is why a lot of amps wait 2 seconds after you turn them on, to actually turn on. I'd say that by changing tracks your CD player is changing output levels rapidly, causing the bang.

To fix this, play with the volume on the head unit and the gain on the amp. If one is very high compared to the other, turn it down and the other up. Just try fiddling with both volumes.

xstatic

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt gen 3 berlina
alright thanks

cheers

scott