Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tick/knock after harmonic balancer replacement

Utel67

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs s3 ute
Grab yourself another obd plug from a wreck, take a picture of how it's wired then fit the other one, or you can ground F14 at the PCM which is a white wire with black trace.

Last edited:

twoshay

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore
Will give that a go, thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated

mirrabucca

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pack (Devil Yellow)
FAR simpler. Drop the main drive belt off. Start the car. Still going tick tick tick? Yes? crank angle sensor. No? then its something to do with the belt. Probably a dry/sticky spot on one pulley. Get a can of belt dressing and spray it on the grooved side of the belt while the engine is running. I assume the rubber part of the harmonic balancer is all ok and not perished?
Back to the CAS. Is it a genuine Holden one? No, not ebay "genuine". I replaced mine about 6 months ago (VX 331,000 k's). it lasted 6 months then really started to act funny. Originally the CAS died when hot and a bottle of water tipped over it would get me home. Replaced it with the ebay one. Then replaced that with another "genuine" one from Rippco.
it was the same brand as the ebay one... Then, if I gave the car a good squirt (full throttle kickdown from 40 k's) it would get to about 5000 rpm and the engine would die. TRAC and ENGINE light would flash on briefly. After about ten mins rest (or a bottle of water) it would be ok. NO codes were set.
So I forked out for a real Holden CAS from a dealer. This is exactly the same as the original one (brand) and it works just fine.
I am thinking your new one isn't exactly the same dimensions as the original one. When I fitted the latest one, I used calipers to measure the distance from the crankshaft where the pulley fits on, to the middle of the gaps in the CAS. In my case the vanes on the pulley (interrupters) are bang in the middle of the gaps.
When you take the pulley off again, just check the sensor to see if it has been scraped by the interrupters.

twoshay

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore
little update. got the car started and idling, the tick had pretty much disappeared. Took it for a bit of a test drive as all seemed well. Took it up a hill and it chugged and almost stalled... went up another and it completely cut out and wouldn't start again.
Battery is totally drained, second time. presuming the alternator is shot? My brakes are hard and lost power steering, would that be from the ABS? Not sure if this is the cause of the random stalling? I am a little stumped

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
little update. got the car started and idling, the tick had pretty much disappeared. Took it for a bit of a test drive as all seemed well. Took it up a hill and it chugged and almost stalled... went up another and it completely cut out and wouldn't start again.
Battery is totally drained, second time. presuming the alternator is shot? My brakes are hard and lost power steering, would that be from the ABS? Not sure if this is the cause of the random stalling? I am a little stumped
So you found the click click then, stuffed Alternator..

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
if your fuel pump keeps going i would change the fuel filter if you havnt

twoshay

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore
Would the alternator be causing the random stalls also?
Fuel filter was changed with the pump. Cheers fellas

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Brakes are vacuum assisted so when the engine dies the brake pedal will go hard when the vacuum in the brake booster is depleted. PS runs of the engine also, so again, dead engine = zero PS assist.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Would the alternator be causing the random stalls also?
Fuel filter was changed with the pump. Cheers fellas
Yes or low volts will make it stall as everything needs 12v, with the older cars you called keep the car going if it was a flat battery via a jumpstart but if the Alternator stuffed then the battery will drain bringing your car to a stop. New cars wont even run with a dead battery and a good alternator, bloody electronics.

twoshay

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore
Yeah. I swapped out the alternator. No improvements. I'm stumped