Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tick/knock after harmonic balancer replacement

twoshay

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore
Have a 98 vt v6. Just changed the crank sensor, can sensor and harmonic balancer. Since doing so, I now have a knock or ticking coming from the area. I was thinking it could maybe be the tensioner pulley. Anyone had a similar experience before I go pulling it apart again?
Thanks

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
So the tick wasn't there before removing? Try wd 40 on the pulleys to see if it softens the noise.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Make sure the CAS isn't hitting the interrupter blades on the back of the balancer.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
It's not a sacked out belt tensioner is it? Seems odd the blades hitting the CAS unless it hasn't been put on properly but the CAS is not adjustable on the VT like it is on some earlier models.

twoshay

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore
After trying these 2 things, wd40 seemed to lessen the sound. However my original issue of the car randomly stalling is still there. So I am guessing the issue wasn't the CAS as suspecting. Possibly a fueling issue? Could that possibly explain the loud tick sound?

twoshay

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore
Tensioner still feels tight. Would it still be tight if it was fucked out?

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Any codes, may help? Could be anything stalling the car, bad earth off the battery or positive side, bad fuel relay or contacts dirty, fuel pump or filter, bad plugs or leads or coils along with DFI, scan the codes and see if they tell a story.

twoshay

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore
Unfortunately my obd2 socket is rooted. After chatting with a mate who was a mechanic, we have broken it down to the fuel pump going again, he gave me a few things to check out along side. Thanks a lot for the help. Hopefully the issue will be resolved asap