Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

tick..tick..tick..tick..tick..

96 Calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais
excuse me if ive missed other threads regarding this, i know its a common thing, but it's really REALLY starting to TICK me off!!

if i had the money i would rebuild/replace engine to bugger off this annoying as all hell TICK TICK TICK TICK... but I dont so im stuck with the ****ing tick.

i recently did oil change to some quality oil and added lifter tuneup additive, this worked for about 2 weeks before the ticking came back.. as you can tell its really pissing me off

surely, SURELY i can fix this with minimum cost.. i cant live with it any longer, just one of those things which absolutely annoys the hell out of me and i NEED to fix it..

I dont want to sell up considering ive spent quite a few bucks on it lately and turning my radio up is no subtitute

jetboy

You learn til u die
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT exec
Magnatec an a bottle of Moreys , failing that . Your screwed

96 Calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais
how screwed?

is my engine is on its way out? is this ticking a bad thing?

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
tick tick tick >>> boom your screwed
how screwed?

is my engine is on its way out? is this ticking a bad thing?
sound like shes on her way out......i shame i hope she goes for another 20years

bogan_vk

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
isnt ticking usually just lifters theyre not a hard fix , injectors can also tick

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
yeh i would imagine its just the lifters but you never know it could be something worse but i doubt it when you say lifter free up fixed it for a while. They are relatively easy to replace but you have to buy intake manifold gaskets as well as the lifters.

calais24/7

Mucca Mad Boys
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais II 5L, 98 rodeo v6
lol at people thinking the engine is f***ed, the most common problem is lifters mate. Unless you have like death rattles which i doubt because you said it went away with new oil. It could also be your injectors. It's best if you somehow recorded the sound, either a video or sound file and let us have a listen, lifters are roughly 600 dollars. Mine are really noisy aswell and i do need to replace them but its a lot of money just for the small part. Does the tick get quicker as you go up through the revs?

96 Calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais
well i hope not, im broke as it is from replacing the suspension, headers n a few other bits n bobs.. last thing i need is the engine to go, if that happened i would be screwed.. big time :(

ill try some stabilizer, this wouldnt require an oil change would it? (it was changed maybe 6 weeks ago)..

how much would i be looking at to replace lifters?

bogan_vk

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
if your lifters are ticking i highly doubt your engine will go bang it will just be noisy not worth stressing about too much till you can afford to replace them.

96 Calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais
to windy outside to get a clear recording, plus.. typically it didnt really tick when i tried just then.. (it doesnt always tick, but more times than not)

when im parked next to a wall its quite a loud tick.. 600bucks to replace without any garentee it will fix the tick.. sounds a bit rough.. whats a new recon engine worth.. cant be that much more surely