Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ticking is driving me nuts

vr man

Reaction score
hey all. the other day my car just started making a ticking nosie when i started it and now i can hear it when i accelerate .. today i stared my car and it made a loud grinding/ ticking noise so i turned it of then back on again and it was sweet but still the ticking noise when i was driving could some one please help me if u know waht this could be from???? thanks...:bang:

dmitch

DonkeySS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS S2
does it sound like a pencil tapping.. and sound increase with engine speed increase.. if so could b
1.The valves need to be adjusted: Adjust valves.
2.There is sludge in the engine which is restricting oil flow: Flush engine, replace oil filter and fill with new oil.
3.Hydraulic valve lifters bad: Replace valve lifters.
4.One or more of the engine's valves are stuck: Check valves and repair.
5.Push rods bent or worn out: Replace push rods.
6. leaky manifold
could b one of those or other things

boojak87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Series II SS 5.7L
I had a ticking noise, that would come and go...but would increase significantly accelerating uphill. If you're running normal fuel, try a couple of tanks of premium fuel...if the problem ticking goes away, it's the timing, controlled by knock sensors. Get both replaced. Had exactly the same problem for ages, flipped to premium, ticking went away..and only recently when hooked up to diagnostics, pulled up an error code for knock sensors. Replaced them and away we went.

Cheers,
Boojakz.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Lift the bonnet whilst the engine is idling and see if you can eyeball where it is coming from. If it only happens whilst the car is moving then check is the rate of ticking increases with speed of the car...if so then check your tyres for stones etc. It could also be a plug lead shorting out. The more info the better!!!

vr man

Reaction score
hey guys thanks 4 the feed back it use to only tick when driving but will now tick when idling... lifted the bonnet and it sounded like it was at the back and the bottom if thats any help.. thanks heaps

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Could be a cracked exhaust manifold letting a tiny bit of exhaust out ot the manifold gasket doing the same thing. Sometimes you can use a length of garden hose (~400mm) as a stethoscope to locate the noise.

Matty081

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina
I can't believe nobody mentioned the first and most important step.

Check your oil levels.

Does it go away after the car warms up a bit?

Centurion

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore V6 3.8lt Manual
Could be injector pulse, sometimes the fuel lines get some vibration and tap against the firewall.