Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ticking noise....extractors?

bazinga

Gasfed304
Reaction score
Members Ride
5L Vn Calais
got a 5litre vn calais and its got this ticking noise from the engine bay and the previous owner said there is a small hole is the left extractor just want to know would a hole in the extractor make a ticking noise or was he just bullshitting me and it's something else? and would welding the hole up fix the problem or will i need new ones?

TrikkBen

I'm Back :D
Reaction score
Website
www.asroilpans.com
Members Ride
BNR32
Could be a sticky lifter, that's the main cause of ticking in engine bay. Try some nulon lifter free, you get it from autobahn or repco.

Good luck
Ben

KnobMuffin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 2L
All VN VPs tick. When your computer decides to open an injector they all open at once and a relay clicks as well. So that tick is all your injectors and your fuel injection relay operating at once. If you had a hole in your exhaust you would see a black patch from where all the crap has collected up, goto a muffler shop and get it welded, easy and wont cost much.

TrikkBen

I'm Back :D
Reaction score
Website
www.asroilpans.com
Members Ride
BNR32
...All fuel injected cars tick to an extent, but to clarify the problem, how loud is the tick, do u hold your head right near the engine and you can hear it or can you hear it with the bonnet shut standing back? If you hear it standing back a bit I doubt it's is just injectors they are pretty quiet.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
To answer the question, yes, a hole in the extractors will make a ticking noise. Get it welded as already mentioned.

bazinga

Gasfed304
Reaction score
Members Ride
5L Vn Calais
...All fuel injected cars tick to an extent, but to clarify the problem, how loud is the tick, do u hold your head right near the engine and you can hear it or can you hear it with the bonnet shut standing back? If you hear it standing back a bit I doubt it's is just injectors they are pretty quiet.

the tick is louder then the exhaust so its pretty frigging loud but yeah i will go get it welded it see how that goes cheers.