Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ticking noise from cold start-up

XR6_661

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 BA XR6
I'd say the oil is too thin....

Chuck some heavier stuff in.

Wouldn’t be injector noise would it? Falcons do it…

DAZ88P

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Wagon
not ideal when stone cold but rriae the revs just a tad to see if the noise gets faster with the RPM to help narrow it down.

I'm pretty sure mine has the same noise you are referring to and i was thinking it was a pulley on the way out, because i also get a squeel on real cold mornings which slowly goes away after a about a min (im assuming after the bearing has warmed a little bit) but as it dissapears the squeel picks up the same timing as the tick.

wattles

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Sv6 04
yeah im pretty sure it speeds up? doesnt sound too flash and you give it a rev lol

i've had that whining noise your talking around too.. one day it was real bad then stopped? no idea lol

CRUSTIN

P-plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S 175 Ute
Soo many threads have have been started like this.

ITS NOT OIL! Forget the oil, its a mechanical tick, oil may mask it, but it will get worse if it has to do with the hardening of rubbing surfaces.

Why is there always some backyarder who thinks that the right oil fixes every problem.

heyitsEnricoPallazzo

Big block Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ A4 Saloon
Soo many threads have have been started like this.

ITS NOT OIL! Forget the oil, its a mechanical tick, oil may mask it, but it will get worse if it has to do with the hardening of rubbing surfaces.

Why is there always some backyarder who thinks that the right oil fixes every problem.

Because we're all (most?) backyarder's!

It's the oil I tell's 'ya!:boxing:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 279

Jootlash

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ute
Take rocker cover off. When cold. Check for oil pooling on the rocker arm above the pushrod. If you can see oil pooling on there, then the pushrod could be blocked. Thus preventing lubrication of lifter on start up. as the engine heats up, oil thins, thus running down to lifter. simply take out rocker, clean pushrod out then re assemble. While its all out, desludge rocker cover and rocker aswell.