Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ticking noise - slowly losing my grip on sanity. : )

jameswh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II S S/C
Hi guys,

I have this rather horrendously annoying ticking noise coming from my engine bay (04 VY II S S/C), and I'm stumped as to what is causing it.
I tried to record the noise on my phone to give you guys a vague idea of what I'm talking about:

http://www.vulomedia.com/audio/audiofiles/27210Soundclip08.m4a
(small file, 77kb - the site is ad free. Those with a subwoofer may need to turn the bass down a touch in order to hear the ticking properly).

The noise appears to be coming from underneath the right hand side (obviously left hand side when looking at the engine bay straight on - the side in which you add oil) rocker cover. There is sufficient oil in the car. I changed the oil just last week, so I'm assuming that this may have something to do with it? The interval between each tick increases when accelerating, and decreases when idling - indicating, I would guess, that the lifers/rockers are on their way out?

Has anyone had any experience with this problem before?
Thank you kindly in advance. : )

CoMrAdE MaRx23

CoMrAdE MaRx23
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive 1995
could be one of your leads are stuffed, check under the hood at nite time in the dark

Junny

purrrrrr
Reaction score
Members Ride
VUII Maloo + shitty painted vp
my mate has that noise... he thrashes his car

jameswh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II S S/C
Just a bit more information; the ticking is almost non existent when the engine is cold - the noise only becomes audible when the engine is hot.

Last edited: