Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ticking Noise VZ Alloytech 2006 Berlina

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
Yeah mine doesn't click until a minute or two
Should I replace it or leave it;
a lot of people told me not worry about it

Mine has been like that for at least 2-3 years since I researched replacing my ECU.

Occasionally, after the tank is filled with petrol, the petrol cap comes loose/pops (no audible noises) and a fuel smell enters the cabin via the boot space.

I have wondered if the EVAP operation after 2 minutes could be letting a vapour pressure build up in the tank and pop the cap, if the EVAP is jammed shut.

I think there are DTCs for the EVAP and I have never seen any DTC or engine faulty light come up.
A jammed shut solenoid plunger could be my problem and show no codes or trouble lights.

So, the jury will be out for a bit longer until it stops clicking etc.

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
Mine has been like that for at least 2-3 years since I researched replacing my ECU.

Occasionally, after the tank is filled with petrol, the petrol cap comes loose/pops (no audible noises) and a fuel smell enters the cabin via the boot space.

I have wondered if the EVAP operation after 2 minutes could be letting a vapour pressure build up in the tank and pop the cap, if the EVAP is jammed shut.

I think there are DTCs for the EVAP and I have never seen any DTC or engine faulty light come up.
A jammed shut solenoid plunger could be my problem and show no codes or trouble lights.

So, the jury will be out for a bit longer until it stops clicking etc.

Ive driving mine for a year + with this sound, just wondering whats the worst that can happen leaving it?

Jake Graham

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 vz sv6
Check the evap purge valve solenoid.

Top of engine near the back on the passenger side.
Pull the plastic cover off and it sits next to the manifold/plenum.
Usually goes away with revs.

Not unusual for them to tick but you should check the valve is working or get it replaced if it annoys you.
Mine doesn't go away as you rev sounds like rod knock is that possible in vz sv6

Last edited:
H

harrop.senator

It's possible in every stock motor.

Rod knock is from lack of oil clearance from drop of pressure. Whether that be low oil pressure because the bearing is worn or if there's a pressure issue from other ways.

Everything wears out and it's not forever. So yes it can be a rod knock but can also be a few other things.

You need to do some solid diagnosis or have someone in the know do it.

Jake Graham

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 vz sv6
It's possible in every stock motor.

Rod knock is from lack of oil clearance from drop of pressure. Whether that be low oil pressure because the bearing is worn or if there's a pressure issue from other ways.

Everything wears out and it's not forever. So yes it can be a rod knock but can also be a few other things.

You need to do some solid diagnosis or have someone in the know do it.
ok yeah I'm gonna be dropping the sump to check for my self to see if I can see anything wrong

H

harrop.senator

Make sure they're not tty main bolts or rod bolts before you pull the caps. Also if you have it that far I'd probably be replacing them either way and just using plastic gauge in a few places to check round-ness and clearance.

Jake Graham

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 vz sv6
Make sure they're not tty main bolts or rod bolts before you pull the caps. Also if you have it that far I'd probably be replacing them either way and just using plastic gauge in a few places to check round-ness and clearance.
yeah I know I will make sure I won't do that until I have a torque wrench amd spares